How to Remove the Smell of Money

How to Remove the Smell of Money

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 85 posts · 23 votes

Ok, I know they say that cat urine is the smell of money :oops: , but how do you remove it when it's in bedded within the cement?

I've seem mention of using bleach, vinegar and peroxide.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
86 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    17y

    i suggest white vinegar and a brush.....then throw some sealer on it.

    the vinegar should work by itself, but just incase, i'd seal it (so that when/if you put carpet on there isnt a chance of it seaping up)....the vinegar smell will go away after a few hours.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    I smelt cat urine before and it sure as heck didn't smell like money :mrgreen:

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Muratic acid. Careful with it though.

    Don't use it on anything but concrete or brick. It will eat mortar grout (and your skin - again, be careful)

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Last house we rehabbed had it bad because it soaked into the subfloor and behind the wall. We got most of it out, but ended up putting in a plug-in deodorizer right above it. So far no complaints.

  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
    17y

    We have a home that had 5 German Shepherds in it before we bought it. It smelled like dog really bad. We stripped out the carpeting & padding and vacuumed to removed any lose padding and dust. After letting the house air out for a week we washed the subfloors down with bleach. We then took a roller and painted a primer that was made to hide fire damage. It's designed to hold in smells.
    It worked and I received a 6 year lease.

  • Real Estate Investor · Mission Viejo, Cape Coral, CA · Member since 2008 · 218 posts · 24 votes
    17y

    KILZS (spelling) it is a primer, oil based, that we used to cover smoke after we TSPed the walls. Always worked!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 85 posts · 23 votes
    17y

    Thanks to all that replied! There are some great ideas. I didn't know about Muriatic acid, or think about sealing the cement.

    The issue I found about Muriatic acid is that the fumes damage stainless steel and can seep into the cabinet wood, if you don't neutralize it after application.

    Sealing is a good idea, but some sealers are high priced.

    So, I think I'm going to try a lot of vinegar (soak it), which is also an acid, and follow-up with a paint sealer like Kilz.

    My only concern is, if I decide to ceramic tile, will the mud/paste adhere to the floor or come loose from the sealer.

  • Real Estate Investor · CT · Member since 2008 · 119 posts · 6 votes
    17y

    I would use a cleaning agent (not sure of an exact brand), and then seal it with a sealer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.