How to Remove the Smell of Money

8 Replies

Ok, I know they say that cat urine is the smell of money :oops: , but how do you remove it when it's in bedded within the cement?

I've seem mention of using bleach, vinegar and peroxide.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

i suggest white vinegar and a brush.....then throw some sealer on it.

the vinegar should work by itself, but just incase, i'd seal it (so that when/if you put carpet on there isnt a chance of it seaping up)....the vinegar smell will go away after a few hours.

Last house we rehabbed had it bad because it soaked into the subfloor and behind the wall. We got most of it out, but ended up putting in a plug-in deodorizer right above it. So far no complaints.

We have a home that had 5 German Shepherds in it before we bought it. It smelled like dog really bad. We stripped out the carpeting & padding and vacuumed to removed any lose padding and dust. After letting the house air out for a week we washed the subfloors down with bleach. We then took a roller and painted a primer that was made to hide fire damage. It's designed to hold in smells.
It worked and I received a 6 year lease.

Thanks to all that replied! There are some great ideas. I didn't know about Muriatic acid, or think about sealing the cement.

The issue I found about Muriatic acid is that the fumes damage stainless steel and can seep into the cabinet wood, if you don't neutralize it after application.

Sealing is a good idea, but some sealers are high priced.

So, I think I'm going to try a lot of vinegar (soak it), which is also an acid, and follow-up with a paint sealer like Kilz.

My only concern is, if I decide to ceramic tile, will the mud/paste adhere to the floor or come loose from the sealer.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here