Unpermitted work?

Unpermitted work?

Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 72 votes

Hi folks,

I am planning a light rehab for my first deal in Kissimmee, Orlando. I need to replace the A/C and garage door. 

The place also has a fully enclosed porch that is not under central a/c but it does have a wall unit. Current owner does not know whether that enclosure is permitted or not but I suspect it is not. There is nothing in the county records for it.

Speaking with a rehaber friend of mine, he strongly suggested pulling permits for the garage door and a/c to avoid issues with the financing of my potential buyer. 

Questions:

  • Do banks really care for permits on things such a new A/C and garage door?
  • Should I be concerned about the enclosed porch?
  • Can I count some of the sq Ft the enclosed porch adds to the house as part of it when selling it?

Thank you for your help and Happy Investing!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Novelty, OH · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 27 votes
10y

@Allende Hernandez Im not sure if the bank cares whether you pull an HVAC permit, but the city most likely will care quite a bit.  

I have always found its better to be honest upfront and talk to the city about whether you need a permit rather than get caught with your pants down when an inspector drives by and stops your HVAC contractor from working on the project.

You shouldnt be afraid to uncover things that need to be brought to code.  Those items are code for a reason, and could potentially save a costly problem in the future.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Hello-

    The bank may/may-not care w/re to the porch/garage door, but the city/county sure as well might. It wouldn't take much for some do-gooder to notice your construction/rehab, and next thing you know you find yourself with a work-stoppage order and perhaps a hefty fine to go along with it. 

    http://www.kissimmee.org/index.aspx?page=402

    Looks like what you need is an "interior/exterior alteration permit". Shouldn't be too much work to get the proper permits and get on with it. 

    Good luck!

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 72 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Account Closed

    This is my first project so I'm a bit concerned with the budget even though I made my numbers and they seem right.

    To pull permits on the addition I may have to hire a GC and I have no idea how much they will charge. Also, though the addition is in the back of the house and seems well done, I'm afraid of uncovering things that need to be brought to code sky-rocketing my expenses.

    Anyone in the Kissimmee / Orlando area has any experience with this?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I don't know anything about that area but in my area any licensed HVAC firm pulls the permits from the city themselves. No permit for swapping out a garage door here, and if I were going to chance it where you are that would be the one I would chance. Going from no central heat/air to central heat/air may raise questions. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Novelty, OH · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @Allende Hernandez Im not sure if the bank cares whether you pull an HVAC permit, but the city most likely will care quite a bit.  

    I have always found its better to be honest upfront and talk to the city about whether you need a permit rather than get caught with your pants down when an inspector drives by and stops your HVAC contractor from working on the project.

    You shouldnt be afraid to uncover things that need to be brought to code.  Those items are code for a reason, and could potentially save a costly problem in the future.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 303 votes
    10y

    SWIM doesnt think you need one for the garage door, and any licensed HVAC company should be able to pull the permit for the AC no problem and that cost should be included in their bid.

    No, you should not count unpermitted SQFT that is not air conditioned in the homes SQFT unless you pull a permit for that and address it with the county tax appraiser to have them remeasure, etc. 

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 72 votes
    10y

    Thank you all!

    @Justin Stamper, the unpermitted sqft is not under central AC but it does has a wall unit, so it is cooled. Would that make a difference?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.