Flooring issues

6 Replies

ok so I like this house for sale. Problem is that it has this major crack in the living room floor. Please see attached photos. 

What's the solution to this? I saw on tv once that they used a jackhammer to grind the crack down and out, then they poured concrete, and eventually a leveling agent was used.  Or can I just level the floor easier somehow?

How much $ am I looking at to repair this?

Thank you!

Andrew

It's not clear from your picture what's going on there?  Is it a concrete floor with vinyl tiles right over the concrete?  Is the concrete cracked?  Is it separated?  How large of a gap?  Is the floor unlevel?  Are there any signs of the foundation sinking on any side?  

Yes, it's concrete with vinyl on top. I also do believe(gulp) that there are signs of the foundation sinking on an end, maybe two.  And, yes, the concrete is cracked and does appear separated. 

Promotion
RentRedi
Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units
Originally posted by @Andrew Orr :

Yes, it's concrete with vinyl on top. I also do believe(gulp) that there are signs of the foundation sinking on an end, maybe two.  And, yes, the concrete is cracked and does appear separated. 

Find a structural engineer and a good foundation company...unfortunately, there's not enough information for anyone here to be able to tell you what to expect...

You have a concrete slab settlement issue that most like tied to a foundation issue as well. Solve the movement issue first. anything you install over it will telegraph the crack right through in time until fixed.  Get several quotes. Too hard to put a price on it.  I would tear up all the vinyl flooring before people come look at it. This will show the extent of the hairline cracks now showing through.