What is a good house flipping day job?

What is a good house flipping day job?

Real Estate Broker · Roseburg, OR · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes

I'm currently closing on my first deal and am considering a career change after years of working the same W2 job to qualify for a conventional loan. Now that this is just about over, I want to get out of my office. I currently buy and sell cars for extra money (buy below blue book, do value added repairs, sell at blue book value) and would like to start applying some of these concepts to real estate.

My family and friends are pushing me to quit taking my business classes and do the courses to receive my real estate agent license, which starts in a few weeks, but I know I'll need a part time job if I want to make it as an agent. I'm thinking if I worked for a contractor I could learn the other half of the business, but assume I would be paid less than what I'm making in the office and may have a hard time finding a part-time position.

What do you do when you're not flipping houses?

What are day jobs that apply to the business, or helped you get to where you are now?

Where did you learn the skills needed to do rehabs/flips?

I look forward to hearing about your experiences and ideas. Thanks in advance,

Anthony

0Reply
25 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Any job where you can be out of the office a lot is good. Sales typically allows this. So much time is wasted at the office you can do more in less time by being out. Plus you can do your work and emails at night if you have to run to a job site during the day. Do a great job at your real job still, but most people can be way more efficient than they are right now. Good luck!
  • Property Manager · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 305 posts · 362 votes
    10y

    Full time Realtor is perfect for someone who flips and owns rentals. 

    Been doing it for a few years now and it has been great.

  • Real Estate Broker · Roseburg, OR · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Keith Jourdan:

    Full time Realtor is perfect for someone who flips and owns rentals. 

    Been doing it for a few years now and it has been great.

     Thanks for the reply Keith. I'm concerned that I will need some other form of income being a brand new agent with few leads. Especially if I want to fund more deals in the near future.

    I would like to come up with a part time job I can do while working as an agent that will either generate more leads for me, or help me in some other aspect of real estate investing.

  • Real Estate Broker · Roseburg, OR · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Josh C.:

    Any job where you can be out of the office a lot is good. Sales typically allows this. So much time is wasted at the office you can do more in less time by being out. Plus you can do your work and emails at night if you have to run to a job site during the day. Do a great job at your real job still, but most people can be way more efficient than they are right now.

    Good luck!

    Thanks Josh. I totally agree with your thoughts on the office! My plan has been to take up sales so that my work ethic has a direct impact on how much income I make. Rather than the time extensive 25 cent raise I can look forward to netting after a year of hard work.. And what better way than by being an agent??

    Again, I just feel that starting out may be rocky if going at it full time without a real estate portfolio built to support me, or some sort of part time job to help fund my savings.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.