Inspection

9 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets community,

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on what would make the most logical sense on one, when to get an inspection done on your property before selling it, and two, when should I do a title search for liens on the property? Was pondering on doing both right after getting bids from prospective contractors instead of waiting until closing. I am located in Central New Jersey. Any thoughts?

Sion Nickson

You do not need to get inspections done, but it is your choice, you can sell as it is or it is good to have all the inspections done, buyers like it that way but either way, and you need to make sure your title is clear before you sell it, legally you cannot sell your property if you have a lien, i would recommend you to clear any liens before you sell it.

We do an inspection on every property that we purchase just to give us a heads up that we are going through the process. We started not to do inspections as we are purchasing these properties but ran into surprises every term we took. By doing an inspection in front of the process it really does help along the way.

@Alfredo O.

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I think I am going to follow your footsteps and take the same precautions to save a future headache.

@Harsh Patel

Do you have any title companies that you recommend since we are in the same geographical area ?

Search the county recorder, clerk, or assessor’s office online. All you need is the name of the property owner or its address. If your county does not have the data online, then you need a title company, but most likely all data is online. I would recommend local title company i am not familiar with your area so sorry i dont know any in your area.

we use a company called capital title and a great fine Texas. If you need a number and a contact there I'll be more happy to provide a name. I have used many title company so my time and these guys are absolutely fantastic!

@Harsh Patel

Thanks for your help, I never knew we had access to that information online. Going to investigate that now.

@Alfredo O.

Thanks but I am located in New Jersey. Does your title company handle remote closings?

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.