Votes
Lance Jarmon
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Votes |
Finding right properties

Lance Jarmon
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Posted Nov 28 2016, 22:26
Anyone in the Maryland Area who is currently rehabbing houses? I am new to investing and could use advice for things to watch out for, areas to focus on as well as staying away from and more.

User Stats

Votes
G. Brian Davis
Pro Member
  • Hatboro, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Hatboro, PA
Replied Nov 28 2016, 22:47

Hi Lance, I'm from Baltimore and own some rentals there, although I'm living in Abu Dhabi for a spell at the moment. 

Are you looking to flip, or buy, renovate and hold, or what? If you're looking to keep properties as rentals, I would avoid any area that could be labeled "slums." Bad properties mean bad tenants which in turn mean bad returns.

Your strategy will depend on your goals, but the first thing you might want to do is talk to some local investors who are doing exactly the kind of investing you're looking to do. You might want to partner with one as a junior partner, and let them introduce you to the right lenders for your niche, good local realtors who specialize in investors, and if you're lucky some affordable but talented contractors.

If you want a recommendation on a good realtor in Baltimore, I can provide one.

Account Closed#1 BiggerPockets Exclusive PRO Area Contributor
  • Professional Auctioneer
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Nov 28 2016, 23:27

Been in Baltimore for 74 years, just finished a commercial building and working on three apartments. Glad to chat with you. Own a REIA, meeting first Tuesday. Stop by - happy to help.

As for areas to invest - I don't restrict - if the building can create cash flow or equity I'll do the deal. Working on developments on Ameila Island also. Stay in touch, glad to help.

Charles

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Omer Ashkenazi
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
  • Frederick, MD
Replied Nov 29 2016, 18:51

Hey @Lance Jarmon

I am from Frederick MD, I am a contractor that GC flips for other investor as well as my own. I also mange my rental portfolio. Glad to help.

User Stats

Votes
Lance Jarmon
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Votes |
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Replied Nov 29 2016, 18:56

Brian Davis thank you very much for the advise. I am looking to rehab and flip. Nothing I have to sit on for a time period at the moment. I currently have 2 contractors as far as rehab is concerned but of course in need of more.

User Stats

Votes
Lance Jarmon
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Votes |
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Replied Nov 29 2016, 18:58

Charles Parrish I would love to chat more. Baltimore has been an interest of mines for some time now

User Stats

Votes
Lance Jarmon
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Votes |
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Replied Nov 29 2016, 19:08

Omer Ashkenazi I would like to talk more about some properties you have flipped. I see as well you are a licensed contractor. As I am hearing I need dependable ones. Maybe we can work together in the near future

User Stats

Votes
Omer Ashkenazi
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
  • Frederick, MD
Replied Nov 29 2016, 19:37

Happy to help

User Stats

Votes
Lance Jarmon
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Votes |
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Replied Nov 29 2016, 20:42

Omer Ashkenazi I will forward you my email and contact shortly

• Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Dec 1 2016, 14:34
Originally posted by @Lance Jarmon:

Charles Parrish I would love to chat more. Baltimore has been an interest of mines for some time now

Any time - just call - we are have our REIA next week www.MDREIA.COM