Vinyl Plank Flooring for Flips?

7 Replies

Has anyone used vinyl plank flooring in a flip and had good luck when it came time to sell or are you primarily just using it in rentals? I like it and have used it in rentals but I'm not sure if buyers would look at it as cheap compared to laminate or real hardwood when it comes time to buy.

I have put the Vinyl plank flooring into two basements of houses I am flipping, since basements tend to be a little more humid and can damage other flooring. I only use it in basements though, and use a bamboo engineered flooring in the rest of the house.

Vinyl plank flooring has come a long way over the last several years.  There are several options that are of very high quality.  Buyers and tenants in many markets are attracted to the aesthetic and ease of maintenance compared to carpet.  Cheap vinyl flooring is still prevalent, but the vinyl plank option doesn't have to look and feel cheap anymore.  I think it's a great option for mid-range value houses, and can even fit well in higher end houses. 

@Ryan Ahlgrim - I put 1000 sq ft of "luxury vinyl plank" in our house and we really like it.  It has a slight handscraping texture to it and most people don't immediately recognize that it isn't real wood planks.  I put a lower grade Lowes quality vinyl plank in a rental and my renter likes it and it seems to be very durable.  The Lowe's planks aren't as thick, don't have a cork backer and to me look more like a laminate plank than real wood.  Pro's of both are they are waterproof, scratch resistant and easy to install.  The luxury vinyl plank was around $4/sq ft, the Lowe's planks were much cheaper...but I can't remember how much.

Both of these houses are crawl space and the planks are very flexible so they contour to the slightly uneven floor.  Laminate planks on the other hand are very stiff and if the floor isn't perfectly flat the laminate planks sound "clacky".  

I would absolutely use both products again.  We get a lot of compliments on our luxury vinyl plank and several friends and contractors have looked into using it on their projects.

If you can't do tile but want a hard surface flooring in wet spaces like kitchens, laundry, entry ways then this stuff is unbeatable.

I use it in our rentals.  It looks good and holds up well.  We glue ours down and if there is an issue we have a box or two in each unit that we just replace the bad ones if needed.  There are many newer product out that look beautiful, but you will pay for it.  So you need to look at some samples and then weigh out the cost.  You may be more a SQFT for the better vinyl then other flooring options.