Votes
Kyle Burnett
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Obtaining permits after the work is complete

Kyle Burnett
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Aug 8 2017, 14:48

I'm working on selling my first flip in Cincinnati, it's under contract and the buyer checks and sees that we didn't pull any permits.  The GC I hired said he was going to take care of the needed permits, it was part of the bid.  Well obviously he didn't.

Now the buyer wants us to pull permits so my GC says he'll go back and pull them for the electrical and HVAC.  He keeps telling me he's working on it and working on it, which is what I'm telling the other real estate agent.  Well finally the other agent calls the city and the city tells him there were no permits pulled, now or in the past for this house.  Then, the other agent gives the building inspector my name and number, so I get a phone call from the building inspector.  I play dumb and say my contractor was supposed to pull permits but apparently didn't.

My question is, what are my options and what could happen?  Now that the work is completely done, can the inspector come back in and say everything needs to be permitted and even make me open up walls to see new electrical and duct runs?  This is my first rehab and it's been a nightmare, but one hell of a learning experience.

Loading replies...