Finance of America Commercial - Any Good?

16 Replies

Hey Everyone!

I'm looking at short term financing options for a BRRR deal in New Bedford, Massachusetts. I cam across Finance of America Commercial and spoke with a representative who sent me over an application packet for a line of credit product.

Has anyone ever worked with them or similar hard money type lenders? I want to make sure they're legitimate before proceeding with the application process. Any insight would be appreciated!

Also, if anyone knows of any reputable private or hard money lenders in the New Bedford / Fall River area then I'd love to connect! 

Thanks guys!

@Aaron Araujo ask me for some connections tonight and I will give you a few options based on your needs. I have a bunch of different local finance guys! See you then!

I've run across them.  They advertise really good rates, but they have some pretty hefty junk fees.  Last time I checked, they wanted me to pay $1,500 before even getting approved for a loan.  I'm not a fan of lenders that make you pay money up front to apply for their loan.

Can't argue with that @Nghi Le , thanks for the input! I'm communicating with some local short term lenders that will hopefully work out better.

Don't forget national lenders!

I considered them for a deal I was working on. They were not super responsive and the terms were not as favorable as I was looking for. That being said they did refund my $500 application fee after I said I was not interested in proceeding.

@Aaron Araujo I just came across Finance of America and am considering using them -I am also based in MA. Do you mind sharing the other short term lenders you are using instead? 

Thanks! 

Bumping this up. Would love to hear everyone's feedback on FOA Commercial.

FOA advertises stellar rates on all of their programs, but the reality is that they underwrite like a bank and it will take 3-5 weeks to close the deal. They have a lot of fees, and I have broker friends who have stopped using them due to the poor customer service and communication. If you're willing to work for the rates and run the risk of not being able to close on time, then they're a viable option.

They're one of the many national HMLs that have introduced prohibitive amounts of red tape to their underwrite. DM me and I'll be happy to share more info.

I have to agree with @Stephen Herbert . They have fairly strict guidelines for a HML compared to someone you might find locally.

I've borrowed from 15 different hard money lenders before.  I was drawn in by FOA's rates and terms.  I mean 8% and 1pt?  That's amazing.  I was originally turned off by their upfront fees (see my earlier post), but I got past that a little and wanted to give them a shot for a deal.  Then they told me that they typically close in 30-45, and I said, "Goodbye."

That's essentially a conventional loan, but conventional products for rehabbing (i.e. 203k and HomeStyle Renovation) are cheaper.  So the market they operate in just doesn't make sense; they can't beat the banks, and they can't beat the hard money lenders.

Using them now and have to agree with @Stephen Herbert ; extremely poor communication, incredibly slow, and much like working with a typical bank -- but worse. They keep asking for docs I have supplied multiple times, have missed 2 closing deadlines, ask for info they told me they didn't need for commercial loans, and I really regret getting involved with them now. However, I have 2 in-progress and am too far down the stream to change horses now.

Oh, and by "slow" I mean they have taken longer on 1 property (coming up on 90 days!)  than it will take me to rehab and sell it -- and I have good credit and reserves.

If folks have other options for flips, BRRR, and buy/hold, then please do share. I have another 2 deals in the hopper but don't want to move until I get these 2 closed.

Thanks for sharing @Chuck Kramer . I'm planning on using LendingOne for my upcoming financing, once I hit the 6 months seasoning mark. Seems like folks have generally had a good experience with them.

Thought I'd revive an old thread. I am using an FOA line to fund the two deals I'm working on now. The rates and fees are competitive among hmls and pmls... however everything else is akin to an FHA loan and completely not worth it.

As others have stated, I was continually asked for the same documents multiple times and there is an extreme lack of communication internally. My first deal ended up almost getting pulled and I paid an additional $700 in extension fees because they couldn't close, and the second was delayed a full week initially and then a day at a time. 

Yesterday, we were supposed to close but they were never able to get documents over and also never told my title company the situation. As a result, my seller and his agent were stuck sitting at title for an hour and had to walk away empty handed and angry. They said they would get everything out for a 9am close today and at 8:45 I called the title company to make sure. They didn't have anything. It turned out that they had sent the closing packet to a different title company almost two hours away, and then tried to blame me for giving them the wrong name! We ended up closing 2.5 hours later. 

Stay away. Unless you have 6 weeks to devote to closing a loan and room for a few heartattacks along the way. I'll see how the draw process and loan completion goes, but I'm now in the market for a new funding source. 

@Kevin M Finley - Thanks for posting. I hang up on the agent once he asked for upfront fee. BP Rocks.

Vivek

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.