What American Express business card is best?

12 Replies

I am a single member LLC, or sole proprietorship. I have purchased a home, teamed up with a GC, and will be funding the rehab. The GC (who I trust) needs a card tied to this LLC business account for material spending. What Amex card is the best option? I have spoken with Amex who suggests the Business Gold card (list below), but I wanted to see what BP users suggested.

American Express Business Cards

If you are not tied to AMEX I would suggest Chase. They have the most versatile points (in terms of redemption) and generous sign on bonuses. You can get the Ink right now for 80k bonus points. Transfer those points to Southwest 1:1 and you've got a lot of flights coming your way (when Southwest has their legendary $59 dollar sales you can get them as low as 6k points round trip). 

Originally posted by @Harry Williams :

@Audrey Ezeh thanks for your reply. I am tied to Amex.

Got it! Amex points transfer to Delta and SPG 1:1 so the gold card is a great choice. If you are looking primarily for points you can convert to airline miles then I would go for the Delta Platinum Business instead. You get a lot more points plus MQM upgrades. Again Delta is not the most flexible airline to book points with which is why I prefer Chase and their partners but I think you'll be just fine with either card. 

Of course if you take the AMEX Gold and after a year you do not think you will spend enough on it to justify the annual fee, you can always call them and downgrade to the Simply Cash Business card. That is a good way to get out of an annual fee card without closing the account and hurting your credit score. 

@Harry Williams Depending on how aggressive spender you are, I would go for Amex Plum, they are amazing, the Deferred Pay option gives you 30 extended day pay time instead of your regular cycle cards, in short it adds another 30 days after your regular billing statement. I have been with Amex Apr 2016 with an everyday card with a limit of 2,000, then they auto increase it as you use it, then they pitched me the Platinum, I swiped it and got their $600 worth of bonus points (I believe I swiped 5-6k/mo, then I called them for a business and they recommended me the plum or plat, i took the plum and first month i moved all my purchases to test the limit of the card and see how far it goes, to my surprise, it got declined after going over 33k. Not bad for 2k limit to 33k for 15 months of account history. Both plum and plat have no pre-set limit meaning you won’t know until you use it to the max.

@Audrey Ezeh You can go with Platinum without the delta. It makes you choose 1 airline per year, you get $200 incidentals and 5% booking discount on mostly any airlines. On top of that, I think they have a 1% back. My points are now at 100k. I’ve had the account for 7 months. I already got the annual fee back and more.

Originally posted by @Manolo D. :

Audrey Ezeh You can go with Platinum without the delta. It makes you choose 1 airline per year, you get $200 incidentals and 5% booking discount on mostly any airlines. On top of that, I think they have a 1% back. My points are now at 100k. I’ve had the account for 7 months. I already got the annual fee back and more.

Yep as long as he can swing the $10k spending requirement in 3 months to get 50k points or $20k in 3 months for the full 75k then that's a fantastic option. 

Originally posted by @Audrey Ezeh :
Originally posted by @Manolo D.:

Audrey Ezeh You can go with Platinum without the delta. It makes you choose 1 airline per year, you get $200 incidentals and 5% booking discount on mostly any airlines. On top of that, I think they have a 1% back. My points are now at 100k. I’ve had the account for 7 months. I already got the annual fee back and more.

Yep as long as he can swing the $10k spending requirement in 3 months to get 50k points or $20k in 3 months for the full 75k then that's a fantastic option. 

With the project I am doing I am sure to surpass both $10k and $20k marks in the first 3 months. 

@Harry Williams if you don't mind the $450 annual fee, which is a business expense, I love my AMEX Platinum. Many perks.

Originally posted by @Harry Williams :
Originally posted by @Audrey Ezeh:
Originally posted by @Manolo D.:

With the project I am doing I am sure to surpass both $10k and $20k marks in the first 3 months. 

That's great. Here's my final point. Like I mentioned earlier, if your end goal is to covert the points to miles then you are better served with a Delta platinum. You get the same bonus but much less spending requirement. Also you get the medallion upgrades which is very valuable. ATL is Delta's major hub .. they control all of the southern terminal and flights from ATL are always at a great price. (I lived in ATL for 8yrs). 

If you are keeping AMEX points to use at SPG @1:1 or coverting to cash ( don't do that) then the Amex Plantinum is the way up go.

I'd go with the platinum for sure. Those bonus miles are usually less...all credit cards do this i.e they run a promotion once or 2x a year and increase the sign up bonus significantly. I usually wait for that and jump on it when I see that increase. Right now the platinum has a incredibly generous bonus for a limited time,  more than the Reserve and it only has a $195 annual fee vs the hefty $450 for the Reserve. Also after 3 months you get $100 back so you get all of that for $95 the first year. That's where the value is to me. The medallion upgrade is really nice. I got bumped to first class for free at the gate many times and that never got old :)

I pay $450 annual fee for my Chase Signature Reserve (personal card) but i get $300 back yearly in travel credits and I got 100,000 points during the promotion so a hefty annual fee is not terrible if it comes with other perks. No such luck with the Reserve. With my Business Ink i pay $95/yr and got 80k bonus points. (Ok i promise no more trying to get you to jump ship lol.) 

@Audrey Ezeh My personal CC get's me the Delta sky lounge access that the Reserve would get me, so the $450/yr fee vs. the delta platinum skymiles$195/yr fee isn't advantageous. I went with the delta platinum skymiles. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.