Flipping for Home Buyers with Special Accomodation Needs

2 Replies

I have noticed that most flips are not done to accommodate persons that use (no particular order) wheelchairs, low-height counters, access-ramps, handrails (hallways, bathrooms, et.al.), special sound-proofing (PTSD patients), and visually enclosed backyards (special-need dog care).  I wonder if this a market-niche that has been overlooked, especially considering the needs of the many returning veterans and their families, along with the many other folk encountering life challenges in their home. 

I can only assume that folk buy a "standard" home, and then spend money after to renovate. However, if I am demolishing a bath or kitchen, that would be the ideal time to make such adjustments, and offer those [many?] buyers an actual move-in-ready (for their need) home, correct? 

Please share your thoughts. All the Best.

@Denise Webster I wouldn’t buy a home that is wheelchair and ADA accessible when I don’t need it myself. You will be closing down more fraction of the buyers than the rest. In other words there is only a fraction of people that have special needs, out of that, only a low percentage will like their soon-to-be home, out of that list, only a few will put an offer. So what’s your next exit if no offers are on the table?

@Denise Webster   I agree with Manolo if you're flipping it.  If you were going to keep it as a rental making it let's just say wheel chair compatible might be a good idea.  I rent to special needs clients through agencies that provide "home and community based services".  Perhaps there are some in your area.  You could contact them and ask if they ever have a need for this kind of housing and I'm sure they will say yes.  Since wheel chair accessibility is tough to find renters tend to stay for a long time.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.