Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Burt L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Steamboat, CO
Votes |
Worthwhile to Obtain Realtors License If Doing Rehabs?

Burt L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Steamboat, CO
Posted Jul 1 2010, 15:14

I successfully completed the Colorado Realtors exam over Chistmas break a couple of years ago while in a graduate r/e and construction managment program. I didn't follow up on it as there were sharp differences between my professors about whether it raises your perceived level of liability to buyers of rehab properties, and that it may hurt your sales as being a realtor must be disclosed to buyers - at least it was required then.

The competition for properties is strong, and many are gone on the first day listed. If I had a realtors license and access to the MLS, it would seem I could compete on finding and making offers on properties just listed - and save a little on the listing costs when a rehab completed.

Of course I would have to be associated with an office, pay various fees, and maybe have to do showings, even floor duty? The requirements to sit for the exam have likely increased as well.

Is holding a realtors license as a rehabber beneficial, or did an old professor steer me wrong about the pitfalls of it? MLS access seems helpful in a quick-moving market.

Loading replies...