Carpet or no carpet????

18 Replies

I’m renovating the upstairs unit of my duplex and I’ve got everything done except the flooring! What is your opinion on carpet vs. not carpeted for a second floor unit? The unit has hardwood throughout half of it that could be refinished. The rest of it I would do vinyl plank if I did not carpet it. Which direction would you go? Thanks!

@David Worker I would just do the vinyl plank throughout. I don’t have much experience with it as I just put it in one of my units but I hear nothing but good things. I would do it throughout so everything matches. Plus it’s only like $1.50/sqft I think. 

@David Worker Please I beg of you don't put carpet in any of your rentals lol! Ok maybe I'm exaggerating slightly, I have carpet in a few of my rentals but only the A class single families I own. All of the duplexes or apartments which range from B-C class tenants have nothing but hardwood or some kind of laminate. I'm not intimately familiar with Springfield but from what I know I'm assuming these are not A class rentals so save yourself some money long term!

@Sean Carroll thank you that sounds like a good idea!

@Brian Garrett Yes I agree. The only reason I was considering carpet was because it would reduce noise for the first floor unit. Everyone on the forums is suggesting LVP though!

@Philip Williams Haha it’s a completely remodeled duplex but in a C class neighborhood. I think the LVP will be a safer choice for the type of tenant I’ll get!

@David Worker - You can float the LVP and put a underlayment down before installing the LVP. Not quite the sound reduction quality of carpet but better than nothing. 

I'm in Ohio so a similar climate but might be higher level apartments from the sounds of it.  Either way @David Worker I refinish any hardwood floors if I possibly can, except in the bedrooms.  I carpet the bedrooms and typically have them last several tenants.  The reason for this is first, noise reduction, but second, tenants like the warm feeling carpet adds to a bedroom, not just on their feet when they step out of bed but it makes it feel cozier.  Sounds weird perhaps but its true.  

I bought a rubber sound deadening flooring underlayment off the internet for laminate...might help with the lvp floor. We have been pleased with the rigid core vinyl planks we have installed. They had a thin rubber layer on the bottom.

@Kurt Phillips That’s true. My coworker that’s building a house right now is putting carpet in his bedrooms because he felt like it was cozier. I ended up going with the LVP just for the low maintenance qualities of it and the guys earlier on this thread convinced me!

If you are going with LVP be sure you check the wear layer. The cheap stuff has an 8 mil wear layer. You want a 20 mil wear layer. In addition, check the warranty to make sure you are covered. If you purchase residential LVP then most manufacturers exclude it from warranty. Here is a sample from one manufacturer's warranty:

NOTE: Rental units, leased properties and apartments are considered commercial

properties under this warranty. The limited residential warranty does not apply to these

types of properties and installations. If your product purchase also carries a limited

commercial warranty, it is the limited commercial warranty that applies to rental units,

leased properties and apartments per the condition, exclusions and terms specified

herein.

I much prefer the feel of carpet...but this isn't about what I "like"....this is about $$.....this is an investment. Carpet is essentially a consumable item....it will wear and deteriorate and require more maintenance than other flooring and that costs $$ and cuts on my return....so whenever possible, it goes.

I've done the HD Lifeproof in my last 2 rentals and have been happy so far...only been a year, so no long term feedback yet, but it was easy to work with and was a big hit at the showings and the tenants like it. I did buy the nicer stuff with the hope that in the long run the extra $$ will pay off...thicker, has underlayment on it already and hopefully will last a lifetime....we shall see

Stick with LVP.  If your renters really love carpet go to a carpet remnant store.  You can usually take a spare piece of carpet and have them put an edging on it.  Its like having a custom size rug for a lot cheeper.  You can get a large rug for each bedroom.  Then if the carpet gets trashed its fast and inexpensive to fix!

You have a valid concern about reducing foot fall noise. Try finding a warehouse type source for commercial carpet squares. the low pile doesn't trap dirt like residential carpeting, you can install them yourself, and the backing is dense enough to stop the smack of shoes. I never put cut pile carpeting in a rental home, but have used squares often. There may be a wholesale supply place that sells end runs or job leftovers, like "Building 9" in Medina, Ohio where I buy all mine.

I have hardwood in the upper part of my double with a very large throw down carpets in each room. It keeps the noise to a minimum and still has the appeal of hardwood. Very easy to replace since you just need dimensions!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here