Relocating electrical panel

3 Replies

Hi Bigger Pockets,

In a project I am looking at I would want to open a wall from the kitchen to a huge addition they are calling a mud room. It is a huge waste of space and I am hoping to turn it into a family room and close off the laundry area. Unfortunately, the main electrical panel is next to the current opening. I would want it in the future laundry room about 6 feet away in walls that we would be building. I am aware it is an expense that is not necessary! I'm just looking for a ballpark of numbers. I'm thinking $1,500? Any thoughts? 

The main problem with moving your electrical panel is that all of your existing circuits will need to be moved and/or extended to the new panel location.  If the old circuits don't have enough length to reach the new panel you will likely have to run completely new circuits.  

It may be possible to splice the old circuits in new junction boxes, but that may cause code issues.

Best case scenario, $1,500 could cover it, but I think it could be more than that if there is substantial rewiring needed.

It's probably best to talk to a local electrician to get a professional opinion.

call a few electricians and get quotes.   just replacing a panel is about 1,500.   as David said you might have to replace entire runs to the new panel because the old cables won't reach the new panel location, including the main!

Also, while you are at it, replace the panel itself, it shouldn't be extra labor, just the cost of the new panel.

Be careful because code requirements are such that you will need a space 30" wide and 36" in front of the panel (from floor to ceiling) that is clear of any obstructions. 

You also can't just move a panel without replacing the feed from the meter outside. I believe that VA code is that the panel can't be more than 6' from where the service enters the house.

Lastly, as others have pointed out... you will likely end up needing a junction box in the place of the existing panel order to extend the existing circuits. 

I'm not offering legal advice. Confirm all of the above with your local building inspector and/or electrician.