FAR requirments and adding an addition

2 Replies

Looking to remodel a multifamily and brought an architect in. What i want to do is either put a bedroom in the attic for one of the units or put an addition on the home for a bedroom. This way we’ll add more value to the home while also being able to get more rent. Our architect loved the idea but then realized our house is at the maximum allowable square footage because of the size lot its on. Quick numbers: the house is on a .09 acre lot, the house is already 2156 square feet, and the property is an R6 which the floor area ratio states the square footage of the house can only be 55% of the lot (.09 acres). Anyone ever run into this? And if so is there a way around it?

The city I live in is strict about their FAR requirements. To go over the limit requires a variance. That requires a Board of Zoning meeting and approval. I'm told that the process can take about 3 months and will require building plans and necessary surveys. So let's say that alone takes at least an additional month plus a lot of cost. In the end the variance seems to be very rarely issued. I will call your zoning department and explain to them what you are doing and ask the staff what they think the chances are for approval. 

Updated almost 3 years ago

update to clarify my original post: *If I were you I would* call your zoning department and explain to them what you are doing and ask the staff what they think the chances are for approval.

What @Doug W. said.. In short, it's not worth it unless you have a very strong argument for the City's Zoning Board. And that cannot be "I want to add more square footage to make more money/cash flow." Variances are usually issued for hardships or unique circumstances. @Nick Causa