Flipping a manufactured home?!?!?!?

1 Reply

Looking to break into the investing game with some fix and flips. My current market (central NC) is incredibly difficult to break into, but a lot of the surrounding areas are a lot less expensive. This may be a dumb question, which I think I know the answer to...but do you only want to flip single family homes, or are manufactured homes/mobile homes even an option? Everyone’s gotta live somewhere right? And maybe “flipping” isn’t what a smart investor would do with those properties...but I feel like there’s something there, just not sure what to make of it. Thoughts?

I have heard of investors starting out flipping mobile homes.  Some owner finance them when they sell,  but that wouldn’t free your capital for the next flip, which I assume you need to do.

Two things to consider:

1. It’s easy to go over budget with repairs because their value is low & materials essentially cost the same as what you’d use when rehabbing a single family home.  In fact, things like smaller stoves & water heaters are more expensive than full-sized if you need them.

2. Check how long it’s taking to sell mobile homes in the area & plan accordingly.  Often they take considerably longer to sell.

3. Make friends with Park managers.  They usually know what’s going on in the park & who needs to sell.

Good luck!