Best Book on Home Improvements/Repairs

5 Replies

It really depends on what you are looking to do, but two books I recommend are J. Scott's "The Book on Flipping Houses", and "The book on Estimating Rehab Costs". Both have been helpful to me on planning flips.

I work construction gigs as a carpenter and rehabbed my entire house down to the bare bones so I know all about that.

I just bought "Housebuilding" A Do-It-Yourself Guide by R.J. DeCristoforo.  It really goes into detail about every aspect of building a house.  Framing, roofs, exterior, plumbing, electric, ect.  It even talks about building codes and permits.

Even though your not building a house, rehabbing is mostly just tearing out the old to re-build.  In order to rehab you need to know how to correctly build. 

It would be a good book to use as reference if you are doing major rehabs that are complete gut jobs.  But if you are just patching some drywall and replacing a few fixtures then you can find all that stuff on youtube.

Not a book - but I second YouTube - you would not believe what they have dozens of videos on. Watch a few different ones about what you're trying to do, figure out the basics, and go for it. I also have the Rehab and Flipping books mentioned but haven't read them yet.