ARV Numbers & Brokerage Fees in Bay Area Flips

ARV Numbers & Brokerage Fees in Bay Area Flips

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes

Hi All,

I've been putting together excel sheets for flip targets in the Bay Area as practice and I am seeing some disconnects between the standard suggestions (70% ARV, lower profit margins than many here ask for but much greater absolute profit than many here require for 4-6 months of work) given the high costs here. Obviously these are rules of thumbs, so I wanted to know what CA investors use in these high COL areas. Here is an example below

Assumes 6 month flip 

$1.2M property

Estimates $120k in rehab costs (assuming 10% to start, these may not scale with property costs)

~$260k downpayment, 9% hard money financing

~9k holding costs (taxes + interest)

$16k loan origination fee

$1.6M ARV

This would give a 40% COC return at ~$130k in profit for ~6 months of work. However this is ~82% ARV purchase price, despite what looks like to me a good return. Is normal for the bay area? Does rehab costs as a % of total cost being much lower in the bay area allow for a larger ARV purchase to be feasible?

Also, a second important question, the broker fee (on the purchase side and the sale side) would total 5%. This amounts to 70k or 50% of the total profit ! This to me is a much larger drag than the financing cost (8 months of carry cost), or even potentially underestimating the rehab costs. Is it realistic to get a realtors license, or work with a fee only realtor? 

I don't mean to belittle the work of brokers, but my situation is that this will be part time investment for me, and I have time on my side to wait for the right deal (I am not at the scale where I need volume). I'd prefer to build in a larger margin of safety by removing this fee. How would I go about doing this? Getting my license, or staging myself on the sale side and using real estate attorneys. What are the downsides to this? Does it make my bids less competitive? 

0Reply
26 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    In the Bay Area, none of the typical rules apply. If they did, everyone would be investing here, as the potential payoff is enormous. 

    My big observation is that your holding costs seem very low. At 9%, you will pay at least $30K in interest over 4 months. I would budget more. What if you can’t sell for 6-9 months? 

    Don’t forget other holding costs like property taxes and utilities. You didn’t even mention closing costs on both your purchase and re-sell... figure at least $10K each time, more if you’re in a heavy tax city like Oakland. 

    Also, flipping is not a “part time investment”. It needs your full time attention. I see a lot of risk in your strategy. 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Apologies, meant 9k per month

    By part time, I would partner with a friend who would do the day to day project management and GC and split some percentage of the profits

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    For those who stumble upon this, I was able to answer my own question by breaking out a detailed excel sheet along with these links: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/306...

    Esesntially 75% should be target, with 80% the absolute lowest. Obviously this is all dependent on the property.

    My guesses for why flips are being priced so high in bay area

    1. Agent/broker owner, able to save on commission and potential GC work if running full time

    2.  Adding square footage, more speculation and risk

    3. Speculating on continued appreciation during build process

    Regardless the deals are harder to find. Let the above serve as a rude awakening to me of the competitiveness of this market. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.