Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
May Baten
Votes |
Newbie seeking contractor/rehab/reno advice in Vallejo, CA

May Baten
Posted Mar 17 2019, 09:06

I'm new to REI, active duty military member, looking to do my first live in rehab. My husband and I are on a low budget in the ridiculously expensive CA market. We're not very handy and don't have any renovations experience. We've been doing our research online and apps trying to price things out, but the quotes that we received from 2 contractors are already twice as expensive as our estimate.

I’m seeking recommendations on reasonable contractors in Vallejo, CA, or any advice on dealing with contractors would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, any advice on keeping down costs on rehab/reno in general is also welcomed.

Thank you!!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Dickerson#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
Greg Dickerson#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Mar 18 2019, 17:16

@May Baten the key to keeping costs in line is to have a very detailed scope of work with all selections spelled out. This will help you get a true and accurate pricing comparison. 

For referrals you could ask some local realtors or post on facebook for recommendations from friends. Make sure to ask for 3 recent references (then call them) ask to see completed projects, make sure they have the proper licenses an insurance and have the certificate of insurance sent to you from their insurance company with you as a named insured.

Do not pay up front for any work. Pay upon completion only.

User Stats

Votes
May Baten
Votes |
Replied Mar 20 2019, 16:07

@Greg Dickerson thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.