Can I knock down a house and put a mobile home in its place?

3 Replies

I have a house that has structural issues. It's nothing that can't be fixed,  but it's pricey. Since the house needs additional work, I'm researching the idea of maybe knocking down the existing structure and putting an already updated mobile home in it's place (assuming that the city would allow for this). 

Has anyone done this before? What are some pros and cons? In a BRRRR situation, would the house appraise for less because it's manufactured?

Originally posted by @Kyle Shankin :

I have a house that has structural issues. It's nothing that can't be fixed,  but it's pricey. Since the house needs additional work, I'm researching the idea of maybe knocking down the existing structure and putting an already updated mobile home in it's place (assuming that the city would allow for this). 

Has anyone done this before? What are some pros and cons? In a BRRRR situation, would the house appraise for less because it's manufactured?

Biggest thing here is gonna be the city & the zoning regulations. I imagine that it's going to be very unlikely that they allow you to put a mobile home in a location that is zoned for single family.

@Kyle Shank in like others have said you certainly can do it whether it's allowed by your local zoning laws is another matter.

Also consider if it's currently not allowed due to current zoning rules, would the added cost and time of rezoning still allow it to be a worthwhile deal based on your goals and investing criteria?