Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Matt Brunson
Votes |
What to look for in market I want to flip in ?

Matt Brunson
Posted Apr 22 2019, 16:18

Hey BP family. I am currently analyzing a couple different markets in my area to find the one I want to do flips in. My story is great for rentals but properties have no room or way I can force appreciation past 60/70k. Just looking for some tips on what to look for in a market specifically for flipping!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Dickerson#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Apr 22 2019, 16:35

@Matt Brunson you need a market with strong demand from flippers and retail buyers. You need to be able to buy and renovate for 65-70% of market value. Usually the best margins are on houses that will sell around $150 -$200k and up. If market values are $60-$70k after renovations you should look to wholesale those.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Brunson
Votes |
Replied Apr 24 2019, 11:27

@Greg Dickerson

Awesome thank-you so much man! That really helped me out. Just one quick question so with wholesaling properties that are under a 100k will that be mainly assigning to landlords? Or should I not worry about that and just focus on working good deals and let them focus on what they will do with it?

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Apr 24 2019, 13:40

@Matt Brunson yes for lower end properties under $100k you want buy and hold investors. Those usually make good rentals in a lot of areas.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Brunson
Votes |
Replied Apr 24 2019, 13:51

@Greg Dickerson

Alright awesome thank-you so much! If you ever need anything out in P.A I would be more then happy to help!

User Stats

Votes
Whitney Hutten
Pro Member
#2 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Apr 24 2019, 20:11

@Matt Brunson Another market to consider as a wholesaler in te $60-70K range is flipping to a turnkey provider that could rehab, tenant, and place with a PM. If the ARV and rents are very close to 1% and above the landlord will love it, and if there is spread the turnkey provider will love it too. Just a thought.... I don't intentially flip to other investors... but I'll do it if it make sense!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Brunson
Votes |
Replied Apr 25 2019, 04:24

@Whitney Hutten

I haven’t thought of that thank-you!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 27 2019, 08:59
Originally posted by @Matt Brunson:

Hey BP family. I am currently analyzing a couple different markets in my area to find the one I want to do flips in. My story is great for rentals but properties have no room or way I can force appreciation past 60/70k. Just looking for some tips on what to look for in a market specifically for flipping!

Flipping isn't about the market. Flipping is about you and your ability to do the following.

• Raise / acquire funds
  • Market to distressed sellers
  • Estimate rehab costs
  • Estimate the ARV of properties in your target market
  • Manage contractors
  • Hit timelines & manage large projects / employees

If you can master all of the above the market is going to be irrelevant. Note that I would assume your best shot at mastering all of the above is going to be in the market you live in.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Brunson
Votes |
Replied Apr 29 2019, 17:29

@James Wise I really appreciate the feedback boss. I definitely have a lot of those qualities in me and getting better everyday. The one that I'm sure I have a lot to improve on is managing contractors. 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 22 2020, 07:14
Originally posted by @Matt Brunson:

@James Wise I really appreciate the feedback boss. I definitely have a lot of those qualities in me and getting better everyday. The one that I'm sure I have a lot to improve on is managing contractors. 

Good luck my man. You'll get there.