What Do You Do With The Garage When Rehabbing?

What Do You Do With The Garage When Rehabbing?

Investor · Cornelius, NC · Member since 2010 · 17 posts · 2 votes

I am currently rehabbing a house that has a garage. The garage has drywall that was painted about 13 years ago. My question is, do you fill in the nail holes, chips, cracks, and then paint, or do you just give the garage a good cleaning? My contractor says he never paints the garage when doing rehabs. Also, do most rehabbers pressure wash the concrete or steam clean it? I appreciate all replys!!!

0
Topic locked
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
14y

It takes an hour to degrease and pressure wash a garage floor. Just gives a better 1st impression. As for the drywall, if it doesnt cost a lot....why not clean it up and quickly paint it. Just hit it with primer as your final paint finish. It is simple and cheap but yields big visual returns.

3
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2011 · 422 posts · 149 votes
    14y

    I guess it would depend on the neighborhood. But personally I've never had a garage that was so bad, that I did any work on it.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
    14y

    It takes an hour to degrease and pressure wash a garage floor. Just gives a better 1st impression. As for the drywall, if it doesnt cost a lot....why not clean it up and quickly paint it. Just hit it with primer as your final paint finish. It is simple and cheap but yields big visual returns.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    14y

    I always give the garage a fresh coat of paint on my flips.

    Just yesterday I had my hourly guy patching holes and retaping some areas of drywall in the garage. (We took advantage of the really nice weather here in Michigan). Now that it's got a fresh skim coat of drywall mud, we can paint. I don't even think we'll end up sanding anything since it was just a fresh top-coat.

    As for the floors I either have my guys degrease them with Zep cleaner, or paint them, or just leave them as is. It all depends on the severity.

    I definitely would not overlook the garage, however!

    2
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    14y

    I just put some Blandex on the walls and ceiling of a single garage where nothing but bare studs were before. It has windows visable from the street. So, they are getting blinds too.
    Don

    1
    Topic locked
  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 244 posts · 36 votes
    14y

    I finish the garage to have walls and ceilings finish. I paint the walls with whatever my base color of my bedrooms/living area is along with a white ceiling. This cost no more than finishing a room and is worth the extra effort in standing above the competition.

    1
    Topic locked