Carpet vs. Vinyl Planking Flooring in Buy & Hold Duplex??

Carpet vs. Vinyl Planking Flooring in Buy & Hold Duplex??

Attorney · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 4 votes

I have a suburban Cincinnati duplex that is turning over a tenant next month.  I'd appreciate any feedback on whether carpet or some type of LVT plank flooring option is the way to go for the main portion of the unit (everything but the bedrooms).  The duplex is a 3/2 in a B+ / A- neighborhood / school district and rents in the $1,550 range.  I'm aware of the pros & cons of each flooring option, just looking more for input on renter trends, your experience converting to LVT, etc.

Thanks!

Jay

0Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

Vinyl plank all day long.  Always buy 50ft extra in case a patch is needed

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    7y

    In that class of neighborhood, I believe renters are going to be looking for the luxury vinyl. The unit will be easier to rent and you will probably be able to charge slightly more. Given that the useful lifetime of vinyl plank is significantly longer than carpet, at the end of the day it's the better investment IMO. This is why pretty much all deal sponsors I know are going with luxury vinyl.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Vinyl plank all day long.  Always buy 50ft extra in case a patch is needed

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    As the others have already said, LVT for sure. With that rent, your tenants will want the hard surface over carpet every time. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 680 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Vinyl plank without question for the following reasons:

    1.  Durable will outlast carpet, should be the last floor covering you will install.

    2. Water damage resistant.

    3. Looks better, and more tenants desire it, especially those who have problems with allergies.

    4. Most important, it will set you apart from other rentals thereby making it easier to rent, which in my book is the primary focus for me.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 538 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    @Jay Stewart Vinyl plank! That's what we use in all of ours in Cinci and Dayton. :) It's nice that everyone agrees on something, isn't it? LOL

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 407 posts · 267 votes
    7y

    Definitely not carpet!

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    7y

    I'm a vinyl plank fan too. I use it everywhere, bedrooms included. Tenants have liked that it's much easier to keep clean, and they can put an area or throw rug down if they want to for softness/color. The vinyl plank has held up very well to pets and kids, where carpet would be trashed in no time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 84 votes
    7y

    LVT for sure! Don't get me wrong I like carpet because it's more comfortable to walk on and doesn't get cold in the winter BUT for a rental LVT without question. Tenants wont take care of your carpet and things will spill and stain it, plus you'll get to redo it every 5-10 years. If they want carpet they can go get a big area rug. IF you choose to go with carpet I would only do the Master bedroom. LVT is tenant-proof.

  • Attorney · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the input everyone!  Looks like LVT wins hands down.

    Jay

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jay Stewart definitely lvp & as stated, keep a few extra planks at minimum. Recently my go to colour was discontinued and all I have are 2 planks for ... 4 units I think. Could get hairy if I need a patch in the future, may end up having to reuse something pulled from a closet or similar.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.