I need help and good advice

I need help and good advice

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I need help ASAP

I’m trying to do too much! 1st) I own a house that was deeded to me in 2014 (in New York) but a forclosure process started in 2016 that I had vacated back in 2008 btw the forclosure is NOT in my name it’s my Dads. I want to do a short sale or refinance and keep the property so in essence (SS) find a buyer who’s not my family settle the Mtg hold the property for the designated time and ultimately sell at market value after repairs for a decent amount covering the short sale Mtg and leaving cash for me and the investors...I know some parameters but not the who who and how’s..?

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y

It would be illegal for you to short sale the property to someone with the agreement that you are keeping any equitable interest in the property or are buying the property back after sale.  

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    It would be illegal for you to short sale the property to someone with the agreement that you are keeping any equitable interest in the property or are buying the property back after sale.  

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @J Scott awesome thanks. So how would I at least not take a complete loss?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    If the property is under water and improving the condition won't add more value than what it costs, your only option is to wait and hope the value comes back.  Otherwise if you can negotiate a deal with the bank to short sale, you may be able to reduce your loss.

    There is no magic way to make money on an underwater investment.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    Don’t forget, you may have the added bonus of being taxed on the amount of debt forgiven by the bank. 

    If you’ve already gone 3+ years without payments call that a win for you and a loss for the bank and move on. If it’s still upside down after the last 10 years of appreciation it’s probably not a property you want anyway. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    7y
    Maybe the servicer will offer a small cash incentive but really the main benefit will be to cut your dad's losses and reduce his liabilities.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.