How much in reserves for a flipper to get through a recession?

How much in reserves for a flipper to get through a recession?

Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 141 votes

Experienced flippers who have weathered a recession well: how much is “enough” when it comes to cash reserves?  I see 6 months as a rule of thumb.  Is that accurate?  I’m assuming that this includes salary to self + carrying costs for all investment real estate.  I’m also assuming that those who have 6 months cash are not using hard money for their flips, but are instead using their own cash for the whole transaction and improvements.  Is that accurate?  Does that mean one can continue to flip and make money during the recession, even if supplementing with reserves as needed?  I understand that cash is king when the market drops (so more is better so that you can snatch up properties).  My question has more to do with getting through my first few years of accumulating cash and earning a living without putting my family in a bad spot if and when the market bottom falls out.  I recognize that no one knows, of course-just looking for recommended cash reserves from those with experience needing them!

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

@Robert M. I like to see at least a year for most people minimum. 6 months goes by fast especially in a downturn.

I never use hard money for a flip. Only cash, bank loan or private lender that is willing to weather a downtown and convert to rent income until a sale of necessary.

There will be opportunities in the downturn you just need to be ready with cash and lead the market down and not chase it down. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 416 posts · 396 votes
    6y

    @Robert M. not an experienced flipper but I have friends who are.  I asked him this question before.  He told me he has 6 months of reserves plus an exit strategy.  He makes sure that the majority of his flips could also double as good rentals.  If a particular property sits for a while or a recession hits, he turns it into a Brrrr.  

  • Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 141 votes
    6y

    @Bill Plymouth, do you know if they used hard money? I’m also concerned about not being able to refinance a property when lending tightens, even with good income and a good track record.

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Robert M. I like to see at least a year for most people minimum. 6 months goes by fast especially in a downturn.

    I never use hard money for a flip. Only cash, bank loan or private lender that is willing to weather a downtown and convert to rent income until a sale of necessary.

    There will be opportunities in the downturn you just need to be ready with cash and lead the market down and not chase it down. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 416 posts · 396 votes
    6y

    @Robert M. he uses private money.  When he presents his deals to his investor, he presents it as a flip and a rental.  That way the investor has an idea of what to expect with each outcome. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.