Converting Oil to Gas in House on a slab

5 Replies

I am looking at a property (SFR) that has oil heat (tank above ground in the back yard). If I got the property, I would want to convert to natural gas. There is a main gas line at the street, but the gas company would need to run a line to the house and install a meter (I already called the gas company and that would only be a few hundred dollars).

My concern is where will the gas company install the meter? I would like them to install it on the side of the house, but there is a driveway there, so I assume they would just install it at the front. The problem is, all of the systems that would use the gas are in the back of the house. If the house had a basement, this would not be a big deal since the gas line could be run through the basement from the front to the back of the house. However, this house is on a concrete slab (no basement). So my concern is that running the line in the house (through the ceiling? Walls? Build a soffit?). The line will have to run passed the living room, passed the kitchen, into the utility room (heater, hw heater, dryer).

What is the best way to run the line through a house on a slab? I am concerned this will greatly increase my rehab so this deal won’t make sense...

@Daniel Kent Unless I am missing something why can’t they install the meter on the side of the home where the driveway is? A picture may help get better responses. Also, I know here in Connecticut the local gas companies are usually very helpful with questions like this when you are thinking of converting.

Thanks @Michael Noto

I plan on asking the gas company on Monday, but I have attached a picture.  The problem I see is that the driveway goes alongside the house, up to the slab.  So my concern is that the gas company will not be able to run the main line underneath the driveway to get the meter alongside the house, without tearing the driveway up.  Hope this picture helps clarify-

@Daniel Kent what’s on the other side of the house just grass? They can run the service to the meter in the front and your plumber can either trench the gas line under ground to the back where you want it or run it upstairs to the attic and back down and use liter (fake gutter) to hide the line.

@Daniel Kent they probably won’t want to mount it along the driveway. Like you said, it would require cutting up some driveway, and you’d need to install bollards (steel columns) around the meter to keep a car from hitting the meter.

If the meter ends up at the front of the house, the gas pipe after the meter can be mounted on the exterior of the house. Alternatively, the pipe can go up into the attic and across. Once it’s past the meter, it’s really up to you - and with CCST (flexible gas piping) it’s much easier and quicker to run than steel pipe.

@Mike McCarthy @John Knight Thanks Mike and John-

It is a townhome so another property is connected on the other side. I wanted to try to avoid running the main pipe through the inside because the inside needed minimal work, and I wanted to avoid going through walls, etc. not sure of anything restrictions about running pipe along chimney runs, or something similar. I will have to find out about code since it will all have to be permitted and inspected. Sounds like outside might be the most cost effective option-

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here