Trying to understand this REHABBER's strategy......

Trying to understand this REHABBER's strategy......

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 136 posts · 5 votes

Im looking for new ways to get some leads on potential rehabs and I took to the county records to see what properties one of the more successful Rehabbers in my area does for sniffing out good leads. Well I looked at several people he bought from over the last couple years and here is the theme I noticed from all of them. From the individuals he buys homes from they all have notice of defaults and judgements on their property 8-12 months before they are sold to the Rehabber. So it seems he contacts these people via mail or whatever with interest in buying their property. I notice that the judgements show an average of 175-250k owed on the properties. The county records show him buying them for 85-135K depending on the house. So what Im wondering, is he getting the banks to agree to sell to him far less than what is owed to avoid the hardship and heavy cost of foreclosure? I believe these are all fixer uppers if he is able to do this, and must be able to present the cost and potential ARV to the bank. IF the bank agrees to this why is it not recorded as a short sale? All the county recordings are warranty deeds either disqualified sale or Exception due to condition. And another thing I notice is after the Rehabber sells the house there are Mortgage releases recorded on the property from the Bank who held the mortgage in default. Hope I didn't confuse anyone, and maybe I interpreted something wrong..... but can someone who maybe has done this explain this to me?

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
13y

Mike Nelson - can you do us a favor and upload some identifying image as your avatar? There is another Mike Nelson also posting at this time, so it helps us to distinguish who's who.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Mike Nelson:
    IF the bank agrees to this why is it not recorded as a short sale? . . . And another thing I notice is after the Rehabber sells the house there are Mortgage releases recorded on the property from the Bank who held the mortgage in default.

    Why or where would it be "Recorded as a Short Sale" In my area that is certainly not something that shows up in the land records.

    It sounds to me just like a regular short sale. The releases show up after the rehabber sells simply because banks often take there time getting recorded. It could be the need to get title insurance for the end buyer is what pushes the bank to record the releases.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Mike Nelson:
    Im looking for new ways to get some leads on potential rehabs and I took to the county records to see what properties one of the more successful Rehabbers in my area does for sniffing out good leads. Well I looked at several people he bought from over the last couple years and here is the theme I noticed from all of them. From the individuals he buys homes from they all have notice of defaults and judgements on their property 8-12 months before they are sold to the Rehabber. So it seems he contacts these people via mail or whatever with interest in buying their property. I notice that the judgements show an average of 175-250k owed on the properties. The county records show him buying them for 85-135K depending on the house. So what Im wondering, is he getting the banks to agree to sell to him far less than what is owed to avoid the hardship and heavy cost of foreclosure? I believe these are all fixer uppers if he is able to do this, and must be able to present the cost and potential ARV to the bank. IF the bank agrees to this why is it not recorded as a short sale? All the county recordings are warranty deeds either disqualified sale or Exception due to condition. And another thing I notice is after the Rehabber sells the house there are Mortgage releases recorded on the property from the Bank who held the mortgage in default. Hope I didn't confuse anyone, and maybe I interpreted something wrong..... but can someone who maybe has done this explain this to me?

    Have you checked the MLS for the properties to see if they were listed first? The rehabber likely purchased them through a realtor.

    Also, I agree with Ned. I doubt if any short sales are recorded with the county recorder as such. Closest might be if you were to look at the actual foreclosure file but that's about it. Here mortgages are simply marked 'canceled' or 'discharged' with no explanation as to how (i.e. shorted, paid in full, etc.).

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 136 posts · 5 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Ned Carey:
    Originally posted by Mike Nelson:
    IF the bank agrees to this why is it not recorded as a short sale? . . . And another thing I notice is after the Rehabber sells the house there are Mortgage releases recorded on the property from the Bank who held the mortgage in default.

    Why or where would it be "Recorded as a Short Sale" In my area that is certainly not something that shows up in the land records.

    It sounds to me just like a regular short sale. The releases show up after the rehabber sells simply because banks often take there time getting recorded. It could be the need to get title insurance for the end buyer is what pushes the bank to record the releases.

    I apologize I did not mean "Recorded as short sale" what I meant was the county appraisers website will have an "SS" after the deed type in the sales history to show it was a short sale, Ive seen it on other properties but none from this Rehabber. So I thought it was kind of odd. There are several dozen of these transactions from this Rehabber in the last 2 years, It seemed strange to me how he was getting all these deals, if they are done through a realtor he must know quite a few, I was thinking he may have been clever to contact these people from the lis pendens and negotiate a short sale with the banks...... or is this kind of unheard of?

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Have these properties been foreclosed on for less than what was owed? In my area, the banks are bidding less than the current balance as there are few (if any) other bidders at the sheriff's sale.

    The people are free to then sell or redeem these properties for the lower amount, but could be on the hook for the deficiency down the road.

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 136 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    None of the properties have gone to auction.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    You sure that "SS" stands for "short sale" and not "Sheriff Sale"?

    In my area, a short sale is determined from the public record by a lien release - nothing telling that it was sold for less than owed otherwise. Unless it went to sheriff sale (and sold for less than owed), in which case it is recorded as a sheriff's deed.

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 136 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    im certain it stands for short sale.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Mike Nelson - can you do us a favor and upload some identifying image as your avatar? There is another Mike Nelson also posting at this time, so it helps us to distinguish who's who.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.