how many sheets

3 Replies

How many sheets of sheetrock (other than enough-- :mrgreen:) would be required to do a "standard" 4 bedroom two bath house of 1374 sq feet? FWIW, each bedroom has a closet and a window.
I don't know the dimensions anymore. Are they still 4x8's? Half or 5/8?
Thanks.

ofgift

You can't really calculate drywall needed by using the sq. ft. #.

You'll just need to go into each room and hallway and figure out how many panels (4x8) sheets you'll need. That's assuming you have 8' Ceilings.
Drywall panels come in 4x8 4x12 and i believe 4x16. And you can get them in 3/8" 1/"2 and i think a little thicker but i don't know what for.

Example:
Standard 10' by 10' room with 8' ceilings.

2.5 sheets per wall for a total of 10 sheets

also if you are doing the ceiling
You'll need another 4 sheets (almost 1 sheet left from scrap)

As for installing it, you should be able to get someone to hang it and finish for $.30-1.00 per sq ft. (32 sq. ft. per 4x8 sheet) So $10 to $30 per sheet.

hope that helps

1/2" is standard and I would recommend using 4X8 sheets. 12' sheets are cumbersome and best left to professionals. Rock does come in 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", and I think you can still find 1/4". 1/4" and 3/8" is used mostly for custom work like circular rooms. 5/8 is called fire rock and is used around fire places and in commercial.

As jciu already pointed out, calculating how many sheets you need will have to be done room by room and not by square feet.