Votes
Steve Mayer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Structuring a partnership on a fix and flip

Steve Mayer
  • Portland, OR
Posted Feb 21 2020, 16:09

Hi everyone. I'm seeking advice on the best way to structure a partnership for a single family fix and flip. I am considering teaming up with a friend who is a contractor in California. The original thought is that I would help with financing and he would handle the rehab, then we split the profits. I am happy to handle the down payment and interest-only payments. He has agreed to pay for the rehab costs up front, then get reimbursed along the way as a part of the rehab loan we found. 

Would it be typical to add him to the loan as well so we all have skin in the game in that regard? He seems hesitant to do this, but I worry that puts a majority of the risk on me if we can't sell in the predicted time frame or for the projected cost. Am I wrong to think this way? How are these types of partnerships typically structured? 

My thought is that if he just wants to do the rehab, that's not a true partnership. I could just hire him as a contractor like a normal client would, saving me from splitting any profit with him? I know I'm not the first to do this, so just wondering what the best way to structure this is. 

Thank you!

Loading replies...