• Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Is this smart?

Maher Bateh
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Mar 27 2013, 19:06

I do not like to borrow money.Is that so wrong. I feel comfortable paying cash for my properties and then hope to sell for a 15/25% margin within 4 months. Spending about 50-80k per house including rehab. Many people tell me that its not good use of my money. Thoughts are appreciated?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Nalker
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Brownsburg, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Brownsburg, IN
Replied Mar 27 2013, 19:19

If you have the cash I think its a great idea. you can get a better deal if you can offer a quick closing with cash. your paying no interest if it take a little longer to rehab and sell.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Mar 27 2013, 19:24

cash is slightly more attractive to sellers. it's much more attractive when a property has no water heater, cabinets, toilets. cause noone can get a mortgage if those things are missing.

but i have a question.... how long does it take you to gather/save $80k? one year?

i can get 2-3 homes in that time with mortgages.

what happens if in 1 yr (time it takes you), the properties jump to 100k? you'd miss out on 2 additional homes.

i will hang up and listen now..

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Mar 28 2013, 05:07
Originally posted by Maher Bateh:
I do not like to borrow money.Is that so wrong. I feel comfortable paying cash for my properties and then hope to sell for a 15/25% margin within 4 months. Spending about 50-80k per house including rehab. Many people tell me that its not good use of my money. Thoughts are appreciated?

If you're getting 15-25% returns in 4 months and can turn that money over at least twice per year, that's a 30-50% return.

If someone is telling you that it's not good use of your money, then clearly they have a way to generate better returns than that. Have you asked them what THEIR strategy is for returning more than 30-50% annually?

They may mean that it's not a good use of your TIME, not money. But, that's another discussion, and it really depends on the time you're spending and the amount your earning.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 28 2013, 05:21

If you are doing the work, you probably can't rehab 4 houses at the same time. If you can get'r done and sell in 120 days, three deals a year, you're fine IMO. You get better deals, probably with cash offers as J. points out. Use of funds should be scaled to the size and scope of the business, you're doing just fine! :)

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Kenihan
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Santa Monica, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Santa Monica, CA
Replied Mar 28 2013, 15:34
Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
If you are doing the work, you probably can't rehab 4 houses at the same time. If you can get'r done and sell in 120 days, three deals a year, you're fine IMO. You get better deals, probably with cash offers as J. points out. Use of funds should be scaled to the size and scope of the business, you're doing just fine! :)

Exactly what I was going to say.