Finding Good Contractors

9 Replies

Hello BP Members,

I am a CPA in PA looking to invest in Residential RE in Philadelphia and the surrounding area. Knowing that Real Estate requires a team effort, I have been compiling a base of contacts including lenders, realtors, appraisers, wholesalers, and contractors. However, finding trustworthy, reliable contractors has been a bit of a pain point.

Would love to hear how you are sourcing good contractors and what you do to retain them / motivate them to align your goals with theirs.

- Mark

Sounds like you've built up a network of people you already know, like, and trust. Why don't you ask your lenders, realtors, and other contractors? Referrals from good contractors, investors, or real estate professionals is the best way to find them. 

"Rockstars know other rockstars."

The best way to retain them or motivate them? Pay them on time and be easy to work with.

Honestly, I am in the same boat within Philadelphia. Issues being the good contractors have consistent work and thus are taken. I'm not sure if you have tried the home depot method, but visit home depot in the morning when they open and get information of contractors supplying there. Hopefully one lands for you. 

I personally have searched facebook, craigslist, yelp and even googled and have come across the same issue of unreliable contractors. I have even obtained bids and agreed to pay their price, only to have them bail and suddenly disappear. However, if you need a licensed electrician, I do have a contact! Just connect with me!

Originally posted by @Mark Edler :

Hello BP Members,

I am a CPA in PA looking to invest in Residential RE in Philadelphia and the surrounding area. Knowing that Real Estate requires a team effort, I have been compiling a base of contacts including lenders, realtors, appraisers, wholesalers, and contractors. However, finding trustworthy, reliable contractors has been a bit of a pain point.

Would love to hear how you are sourcing good contractors and what you do to retain them / motivate them to align your goals with theirs.

- Mark

Some of the best ways to find contractors is to talk to architects, designers, engineers, realtors, property managers other investors, Facebook groups, supply houses, home builders association and other contractors. Also check MLS for flip properties and new construction specs for sale. Finding and managing contractors is the toughest part of the business right now for most new investors.

@Mark Edler , check out this thread: How do you select a contractor?

Here's my response in that thread

Did you have a home inspection as a part of your purchasing process? If so, your inspector likely knows a few good contractors, and that's where I would personally start.

The next best thing you can do beyond networking and local real estate groups is to search your local Facebook groups. Every day somebody's asking for a plumber, electrician, Etc. These groups have been vital for us to expand our contractor list as a property management company.

That brings me to my next point, a local property manager. Call up a few of them and see if they are willing to share their list of vetted subs. We have a tab right on our website where people can view who we recommend and use in CT.

Best of luck!

If you do the Home Depot contractor search, do it on a Saturday morning - those are the hard working guys! A lot of contractors these days want to work 9-5, M-F only.

It may take you awhile to establish a relatationship with a contractor. They won't know you and will keep the majority of their time for their current clients. Some also don't like working on rentals due to tenant caused access issues and landlords knocking down their prices.

I definitely suggest social media sites like NextDoor or Facebook groups where you can directly connect with local homeowners for referrals. That has been successful for me. Other recommendations here like asking architects and realtors are also good ideas. Good luck.