Renovators, What sets your reno apart?

7 Replies

I'm curious as to what other renovators feel is the most important change to really set apart your flip or value-add remodel? extra-credit for pictures!

Posted this in the middle night. Bumping to see if it will get any love in the middle of the day.

@Jill F.

I have yet to flip anything for myself, but probably have done 3-4 dozen for clients. Quality of workmanship is what I strive for. We may not use big dollar light fixtures or $250 faucets, etc but the workmanship and making things right and doing them correctly is what makes my work stand out. I don’t ever “rig” something up and my clients know that.

@Jill F. , my wife's design.

We renovate older houses in desirable neighborhoods.  But these also tend to be buyers who are willing to pay more for design, and not really "value" neighborhoods, as in I want to most house for the least money and don't care about design.  

Beyond that, we have been adding a lot of bathrooms, as of late.  Of course, this is assuming there is adequate space and proper flow to add a bathroom.

@Evan Polaski Wow! REALLY LOVE Nicole's work! Thanks for the link. I really enjoy looking at what designers are doing for inspiration and trying to "get the look for less" in our rental renovations. I'm such a big fan of those mid-centrury light fixtures!!

Originally posted by @Matt M. :

@Jill F.

I have yet to flip anything for myself, but probably have done 3-4 dozen for clients. Quality of workmanship is what I strive for. We may not use big dollar light fixtures or $250 faucets, etc but the workmanship and making things right and doing them correctly is what makes my work stand out. I don’t ever “rig” something up and my clients know that.

Matt, Really and truly it sometimes seems like most people don't even know what good workmanship is. I really hate it when people use the "its just a rental" excuse as though that makes it okay to half-*ss it.

@Jill F.

I couldn’t agree more. When I buy and rehab a rental, I do it right. Saves me time and money down the road. When I first started as a contractor, I’d hook up with these investors that would want stuff done fast and cheap and garbage. I used to do it, needed the work and money.  I don’t/won’t  work for those types of guys anymore 

@Jill F. Thank you. Lots of lights from Amazon, that are very inexpensive. The accent wall in our house and the green one in one of our flips, was about $150 (just 1x2s cut at a 45).

A lot of it is fairly inexpensive, but takes time looking for lights or unique tile or just trusting your instinct with paint colors. I was skeptical of the pink door on a navy house, but actually love it and buyers loved it too. So much black and white and grey (which she does too) but people are drawn to colors, too. And when you have some and post your property on Zillow or apartments.com or anywhere with pictures, you will get a lot more interest with something like a pink door on a navy house.