Need an architect/designer for exterior of multifamily

Need an architect/designer for exterior of multifamily

Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote

I'm looking for an architect/designer that can provide consultative services on how to improve/update the exterior of multifamily units. These would be cosmetic changes that can help increase curb appeal rather than significant structural changes. Does this require an architect or a designer? I want to make sure they are knowledgeable about exterior materials. Any guidance and recommendations would be helpful. Multifamily units are in Los Angeles and San Diego but also open to working virtually. Thanks in advance.

0Reply
35 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Architect · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 160 posts · 81 votes
    5y

    Hey @Robyn Chien

    If you are looking for consultation services only then I think you could work with either for the aesthetic portion of the project. It would be a good idea however to work with an architect or building science (waterproofing) consultant to make sure the detailing of the exterior finishes is handled appropriately which is what I think you were eluding to. 

    If you are just looking to scrape and paint and aren't removing the existing cladding, you could probably find a student on fiver or some other service to help you come up with the palate.  

    Best, 

    Dave

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Robyn Chien, I would call a few architects and also look for designers that provide consolation services.  I have met many and worked with a few architects who are very good with the technical side but not very design oriented.  I have also worked with some architects that are incredibly talented with design and finish selection.

    Regardless of structural or not, there are non-structural changes you may wish to make that would still require drawings and permits.  Google and phone calls would be your best route, but as noted I would search for designers if you are wanting a basic update for curb appeal.

    A landscape architect/designer might also be a good route to look into.  Sometimes the landscaping might be a more efficient route to create better curb appeal.

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y
  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @David Edwards

    Hi David. Yes, was concerned about finding the best durable/fit for exterior finishes if doing anything beyond painting. Thanks for the advice on architect/building science consultant.

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Evan Polaski

    Hi Evan. Thanks for replying. That's been my experience as well. Helpful to know that some non-structural may still require permits. And landscaping could be interesting to look into too. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.