Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
What would you do if you already had 100+ lower skilled workers

Paul Brown
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted Apr 12 2021, 08:15

I know this is a strange post but I am looking for advice/guidance. I own a moving company in the Chicago area and have ~100 employees (full+part time). We are very seasonal and even during a month busy only at certain times (ie: beginning / end of month when leases/closings tend to happen. My guys are very hard working and always looking for extra hours and I am looking for ways to give them hours to lower turnover.

I own a couple of rental properties and am looking to further expand in real estate. What synergy between the two entities could I have?

So if you already had 100+ physically hard working guys what segment of real estate would there be a good opportunity? I have thought of utilizing them for marketing of distressed properties (driving for dollars), interior demo work for other rehabbers, also the interesting concept of "pre-habbing" that I have read on BP (J Scott & Glenn Schworm), etc. Again, I know this is a strange question but I’m looking for direction from some experienced real estate people on possible opportunities.

User Stats

Votes
JJ Espinoza
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Apr 13 2021, 22:34

@Paul Brown any chance you could rent/buy a truck and see if the business works out? If not you can sell the truck or stop renting it

User Stats

Votes
Casey Chapman
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 13 2021, 22:45

@Paul Brown

How can you leverage what you already have? People and physical assets like moving trucks...

Partner with other businesses? Distributors, donation collection companies, shipping/package delivery firms, churches, etc.

I’d say utilizing what you already have would be prudent given that your goal seems to be filling some down periods, and not necessarily adding an entirely new business line.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boyington
  • Investor
  • Elm Grove WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Elm Grove WI
Replied Apr 17 2021, 15:58

@Paul Brown

Why not start a staging business? You have trucks and guys that can move furniture. It’s just moving the same furniture over and over again. In one week and out the next. You may need to hire someone with interior design expertise and get some inventory of couches and tables but I think that’s a great fit for what you have already. Get your top tier employees good with hanging pictures and you are set. Chicago is a huge market so you will always have work. If you expand to Milwaukee let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Brown
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 18 2021, 05:40
Originally posted by @Chris Boyington:

@Paul Brown

Why not start a staging business? You have trucks and guys that can move furniture. It’s just moving the same furniture over and over again. In one week and out the next. You may need to hire someone with interior design expertise and get some inventory of couches and tables but I think that’s a great fit for what you have already. Get your top tier employees good with hanging pictures and you are set. Chicago is a huge market so you will always have work. If you expand to Milwaukee let me know!

Thanks Chris. Another great idea! I do have a warehouse where I can store the furniture. I will explore that as well.