Quieter Windows For a Busy Street in Denver, or Anywhere Else

Quieter Windows For a Busy Street in Denver, or Anywhere Else

Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes

 I need to get new windows for a property on a busier street that you can each car "whoosh" by on the front side of the house and will make it difficult for showings and this is a huge window at 8 ft wide by 5 ft tall. 

In looking through the forums, I saw a couple of recommendations for Milgard, that Lowes carries. There is also a general review at Lowes from a consumer that said they can no longer hear the bus go by after buying a MIlgard, but didn't specify which line of their windows. I'm also told having a triple pane is quieter than a double pane. Nobody in town carries this particular size that I"ve been able to locate and all want to custom order with large lead times and high prices. 

If I order the MIlgard Style Line in a double-pane from Lowes online, this largest window of the group is $503 and is an available size  and takes approx 3 weeks. When I call and have an associate from Lowes put the exact same window in an order through their software, the price increases to over $900. If I step up to the Milgard Tuscany which is a triple pane, the price rises to $1100 for just that window. 

I haven't found anyone in the Denver area that stocks this size but they all seem want to want to custom order it at large markups over what I can order myself from Lowes. I may not be giving the current window a "fair shake" as I'm sure its a low end Pella or JW from Home Depot and does have a break in it, but having a loud living room makes the property undesirable. 

I wonder what people can suggest to quiet down noise on a busy street through the window? Not sure I want to step up to an $1100 window on just the largest on the order, If I don't have to. 

Separately, I had a local, large rental property owner tell me that he sometimes splits large windows into two windows, in this case that would be 48' wide by 60: tall, adjusted for the 1/2" on each end. Probably hard to find 48 wide by 60" tall. 

This matter is the large, detracting item on the property and will impact any strategy utilized for the property so its important to solve.

Thank you. 

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I've seen several acoustical reports for windows on new build projects that are adjacent to freeways or other intense traffic uses. The brand of window isn't really what you need to shop, you need to shop the specific construction type. I looked up a past project and the way to achieve the higher rating they required on certain areas, was to use a dual pane (or in some cases triple pane) with thicker glass. The highest rated windows were 1/4" glass panes on both sides in a dual pane set up, and then they began to use laminated glass, thicker air gaps and eventually triple panes.

    The other thing is cost. I'd look for a local window manufacturer that can build the window you need. I don't have any recommendations. The window may be more expensive, but framing and re configuring to two smaller windows likely doesn't save anything at the end since you have more materials to buy and finish the exterior etc. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes
    5y

    I should mention the current low-dollar large front window has a hole about the size of a dime in the outer pane and the inner pane is intact. So not an entirely fair test, but no one will want to live with the sound of each car passing by. 

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    We got window world triple pane and it made a huge difference in hearing our neighbor party at all hours. They were $500 installed per window. Energy savings was noticeable too. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes
    5y

    I appreciate your replies made on this matter. It's certainly interesting to know that the thickness of glass is apparently the most important part of a quiter window and then air gaps are adjusted. 

    I did contact Window World and they quote 10-15 weeks to recieve the windows. I called on Wednesday and they made me an appointment to for the following Monday to speak with a salesman by phone. I recently purchased the property and will have this first unit ready to rent in about 2 weeks. 

    If I can make a low-dollar window quieter I think I'm better off as the window is 8 ft wide by 5 ft tall and only two feet off the ground and prone to breakage. I can get another off the shelf for$278 at H/D. I've seen videos where people put an additional piece of plexiglass at the rear of the window opening, attach a plastic edge to the plexiglass and attach with "pivot screws" and it creates an additional air-space and is removable for cleaning. 

    Still working on ideas on it. If someone were to make windows to order in a more time-sensitive manner I think they could do a great business. Not sure I want to be tied to slow lead times for rental units along a busy street that are prone to breakage by how low they sit, etc. Thank you for the suggestions. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.