Hiring construction management

7 Replies

Anyone with tips on hiring a construction project manager / management company?

My project was supposed to be finished by June but it has been falling behind, and with the economy opening up I need to do a 2 month travel that made me impossible to continue to be on site for the project, yet alone dealing with the headaches from the GC. The rough is done so we just need someone to manage the finish jobs starting with drywall, etc.

What are some of reasonable expectations for having a manager ? I want someone who can ensure the project stays on track (stop falling further behind), have the GC stick to the contract terms, and pay attention paid to the finishes.

HI Clarence. I own a small CM firm in Los Angeles and am experienced in representing the owner and dealing with GC's. If you are not in the LA area, perhaps we can set up a call and I can direct you to someone who can help or give you some tips moving forward. Feel free to reach out. 

Originally posted by @Clarence Ng :

Anyone with tips on hiring a construction project manager / management company?

My project was supposed to be finished by June but it has been falling behind, and with the economy opening up I need to do a 2 month travel that made me impossible to continue to be on site for the project, yet alone dealing with the headaches from the GC. The rough is done so we just need someone to manage the finish jobs starting with drywall, etc.

What are some of reasonable expectations for having a manager ? I want someone who can ensure the project stays on track (stop falling further behind), have the GC stick to the contract terms, and pay attention paid to the finishes.

Hi Clarence, my friend @Sammy Lyon works with construction management on multifamily properties, ADU and more. I'm familiar with Sammy's work, and think it may be worth a conversation.

Hey @Clarence Ng - happy to chat! I’m a Realtor and construction project manager in the LA area. Mostly helping investors with development projects and ADUs. @Shiva Bhaskar and I work on some apartment projects in LA too! 

Lots of folks hire owner’s reps on projects. You may want to google that too. What’s the project you’re working on?

Originally posted by @Clarence Ng :

@Sammy Lyon

Thanks, looks like I didn’t mention that the project is in SF. Since I’m not here it’s probably important to have someone who can be present at the job site

Yeah definitely want someone local!