• New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Macerating toilet or ejection pump?

Rik Hunter
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Posted Jul 28 2021, 12:26

I'm rehabbing a 3/1 SFH that had it's garage converted into living space long ago (so it's on a slab). Where you'd park your cars became the living room, and an area at the rear became the "laundry room." It didn't make sense to have a laundry in your living room (with just slatted folding doors "blocking" sounds), so I planned to make it a 1/2 bath instead (with lots of sound proofing and a solid door).

The plumber is has two options. First, a macerating toilet that can use the drain pipe the washing machine used to use ($3,400 including the Liberty Ascent II toilet) or an ejector pump, which would be installed in the storage room on the other side of the wall; the pump option would of course require jack-hammering to create the pump pit ($1,200, I would supply the toilet). 

Any thoughts on either system, including such a large disparity in cost?  How about a $1,400 difference when accounting for the toilets? Jack-hammering labor seems more expensive to me, so why is the macerating toilet install more expensive?

Loading replies...