Obtain Real Estate License All Online.

9 Replies | Kansas City, Kansas

Hello,

I am looking into getting my real estate license. I currently live in Asia, but plan to move back to Kansas next year. So I would like to do the license completely online now (as I cannot obviously be there in person) to have it before moving back if that is possible. I have been looking for what it takes to get one in Kansas, but I am seeing multiple sites along with different prices ranging from $150-650. Not sure which site is reputable and to trust. Any recommendations for a good sites to receive the license through or other pertinent information?

Also are real estate licenses transferable to other states?

Thanks!

Jeremy

I did all my licensing online (salesperson, broker and cont ed). I am not familiar with online school in Kansas specifically, but there are some national school that would have classes for licensing I would think. Best place to start the the Real Estate Commission for Kansas. they typically have accredited school etc...should be a good start.

Licensing in other states is called reciprocity. Each state has different requirements...some you can just take the state specific portion of the exam and off you go..other require a full class. Again, Real Estate Commission of Kansas should have something on reciprocity for their salesperson licenses. 

Good luck with the new career!

@Jeremy Roll I did mine online through real estate express. There is a 30 hour course you need to take the exam and another 30 hour course you can take before or after. I think I paid something like $205 for both and finished them in a couple weeks. You have to take the actual exam at a proctored location then you need a broker to hang your license with. You will also have to submit your fingerprints for testing.

If you want MLS access you will need to join your local REALTORS association. But the benefits of that are huge. Information and tool access alike is worth it for an investor.

All in you can expect to be paying a little over a thousand bucks. With regular fees quarterly, yearly, and continuing education course to keep your license and REALTOR status.

In Kansas you need to take the Kansas practice portion of the schooling and take the Kansas portion of the licensing exam before you can get licensed here if your licensed out of state. My local REALTORS association also required them come to new member orientation. Not sure how it works in other states though. It might be different in Kansas City. I know their MLS is cross border lots of crossing between the Missouri Kansas line.

@Charles Jones Thanks for the tips, definitions, and the point in the right direction! What online class did you take? Was that through your home state Estate Commission?

@Jared Viernes Thanks for the info! So it sounds like you can do all of the major portions online, but still have to be in person for a part of it - the exam? I know one of the tests is supposed to be open book is that the one in person? What do you mean by "hang" your license? I will definitely be going for the MLS as I would like to own rentals in the future.

@Jeremy Roll

"Hanging" a license is what broker supervises you. You're license literally has to hang somewhere on a wall at that office. You aren't able to just be independent, working from a home office without a lot of hassle. It is a state license, so where the office is just has to be in the state. I live about 90 minutes SW of KC right now, but actually hang my license with a brokerage in Olathe because I can't find that caliber of company to work with as far as training and resources in my market. They can also help you understand the licensing process. Let me know if you want more info, they have office staff that only do agent support, including helping get new agents licensed.

@Jeremy Roll , @Matt Lowery is absolutely on point. As far as the test you have to take in person, not it is not open book. The ones you take online are easily done open book, but if you actually do the reading you don't really need it.

If you already have everything done you need to get your license it shouldn't be hard to find a supervising broker. You just need to do your research and find the best fit for you. Do you plan on selling real estate for others or just purchase for yourself; do you need the training provided by a KW or some other national brand or do you just want a good split. It's all up to you.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Roll :

@Charles Jones Thanks for the tips, definitions, and the point in the right direction! What online class did you take? Was that through your home state Estate Commission?

@Jared Viernes Thanks for the info! So it sounds like you can do all of the major portions online, but still have to be in person for a part of it - the exam? I know one of the tests is supposed to be open book is that the one in person? What do you mean by "hang" your license? I will definitely be going for the MLS as I would like to own rentals in the future.

The classes I took happened to be offered through one of the mls's (GAMLS). All schools must be approved by your state in order to teach the sales, broker or continuing education classes. 

This page is from the Kansas Real Estate Commission and has a link for approved schools:

https://www.krec.ks.gov/licensing/pre-license-educ...

And yes, you have to sit to take the test in PERSON....NO OPEN BOOK (if it were you really aren't showing your knowledge or proficiency). It is a pretty strict process, but one that needs to be rigorous (too many knucklehead agents out there that do not know what they are doing).