Buying a FSBO, recs for title company with built in RE attorney

6 Replies

I'm buying a FSBO in Baltimore City. I have verbal agreement from the seller on a price and need to draw up a Contract of Sale to move forward. Does anyone have recs for a title company that has a RE attorney on staff or will provide these forms free of charge? Is this overkill (ie could i draw up a basic contract myself)? I want to make sure all my bases are covered and that I have all the MD disclosure forms included.

Originally posted by @Sam Rispaud :

I'm buying a FSBO in Baltimore City. I have verbal agreement from the seller on a price and need to draw up a Contract of Sale to move forward. Does anyone have recs for a title company that has a RE attorney on staff or will provide these forms free of charge? Is this overkill (ie could i draw up a basic contract myself)? I want to make sure all my bases are covered and that I have all the MD disclosure forms included.

I am not sure if title company would provide but you can find it online. You need the main MD contracts and disclosures, also inspections etc.  If you want to cover all the bases, there are 7,8 documents you need to fill out depending on the house condition, area etc...

Unless there is an issue, anybody can complete a deal. 

@Sam Rispaud   Of course you can, but my guess is you don't yet know enough about contracts for it to be wise to do it yourself.  Any contract will do if both parties agree. Contracts only matter when things go wrong. There are many contract forms in the FilePlace here on the site under the tools tab. 

Title companies you could use Golden trust / Anthony Onwuanibe. He is a good all around real estate Attorney. Cohen and Foreman some of the best real estate attorneys in the city. Or Jeff Charlow of Masters title and Escrow in Towson.

Thank you @Ned Carey and @Ozzy Sirimsi for your input! I was able to connect with Bill Daly at Liberty Title and he helped me fill out the boilerplate Residential Contract of Sale for Maryland. I feel that this will cover me if things go wrong and I think this is a good middle ground in between paying a RE attorney to draft something up and writing something myself. I'll keep you all up to date on how things go but I think I'll probably end up working with them for a title company as well

I also second the recommendedation for golden trust and title I just used them for my most recent closing they are reasonably priced and very thorough. That is if you decide not to use Liberty Title for closing. 

I had a similar question for recommendations of title companies in Baltimore and another investor recommended Anthony from Golden Trust.  I think I may go that route.

@Sam Rispaud sounds like you've got your basis covered in terms of the contract and title company recommendations.  I'm not a lawyer, however if you want any insight into the standard forms and disclosures that are used in Baltimore City real estate transactions then drop me a line.  @Ned Carey hit it on the head when he stated that contracts only matter when things go wrong so its important to make sure you're covered.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.