Multi Family in/near the Baltimore area

Multi Family in/near the Baltimore area

Edgewood, MD · Member since 2014 · 283 posts · 59 votes

I look on Zillow and Redfin and hardly see any multifamily houses in Baltimore and Harford Counties. Is house hacking mainly achieved by renting out rooms in a SFH or condo or am not looking hard enough?

1Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Durham, NC · Member since 2018 · 157 posts · 50 votes
7y

Perhaps connect with a few regional real estate agents who understand your strategy and they can set up email alerts for small multi units.  

I know several investors who specialize in renting rooms usually in low income areas w/ transient month to month, week to week tenants.  There are a few property managers that specialize in this as well.  You could seek them out to get leads coming your way.  Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @David White Not sure about Harford county, but within Baltimore City I found them to be much rarer than originally anticipated. 

    There are a few that are storefronts with units upstairs that could be renovated into just residentials, but that wasn't something I was looking for. 

    I achieved a cash-flowing househack in a SFH in Fed Hill.

  • Wholesaler · Durham, NC · Member since 2018 · 157 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Perhaps connect with a few regional real estate agents who understand your strategy and they can set up email alerts for small multi units.  

    I know several investors who specialize in renting rooms usually in low income areas w/ transient month to month, week to week tenants.  There are a few property managers that specialize in this as well.  You could seek them out to get leads coming your way.  Good luck!

  • Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 418 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @David White they’re out there! Just insured a few for clients. You just have to wait for the right opportunity.

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I agree that they are out there, but they are few and far between (at least legal multi units).  You'll find more in Baltimore City then you will in Baltimore County or Harford County.  Check out neigborhoods with large row houses (i.e., "brownstones") that have been chopped up into apartments over the years.  Specifically I'm thinking Madison Park, Reservoir Hill, Bolton Hill, and Mid-Town.  Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.