First buy and hold deal Baltimore city

First buy and hold deal Baltimore city

Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes

Hi all. I wanted to share my first deal here as I've seen some other people do. I learned a lot during this process and wanted share with others. 

The house is a 3 bedroom/1.5 bath in Baltimore city in Harwood, a neighborhood just to the east of Charles Village. 

Purchase price: 136K

Down payment: 25%

Interest rate: 3.6%

Closing cost: $11,087

Rehab: 16K

Rent: $1700/month

Total cash in: $61K

PITI: $812/month

Cash on cash ROI after allotting for vacancy, maintenance, capex: 11.32%

How did I fund the deal?

My own cash. Some of it was cash I saved, some of it was a loan I took out on my employer 401k.

Where did I find the deal and how did I negotiate?

I found it on the MLS. This property is right at the border of Charles Village and Harwood. It had been on the market for a while. It was originally listed at a little over 150K, I didn't go and look at it until the price came down to 145K. The house was in decent condition. It looked like the kitchen floors had just been redone, original hardwood floors were in good shape, the HVAC and electrical panel were installed within the past few years, all the kitchen appliances were in great shape as well. The biggest thing I first noticed was the back deck and back balcony. I was concerned about some structural issues with it and thought it could potentially get pricey to fix. I estimated overall rehab/get "rent ready" cost to be 10k-15k between some other cosmetic fixes and the deck/balcony. Rental comps in the neighborhood were 1500-1700. I offered 130k. This was a partial FSBO. The seller used an agent to list the property only so he dealt with my agent directly in terms of the negotiations. After going back and forth a bit, the seller agreed to 136K "as is" with inspections, no closing assist.

Home inspection

The home inspection only ended up having one surprise that my realtor and I didn't notice. There were three windows on the rear of the property that had windows that were actually smaller than the opening. So the previous owner had put particle board in the frames, then mounted the windows in there. So there was just particle board exposed directly to the outside. These were three very large windows that needed to have the entire frame replaced and the brick around them also needed to be repointed. My realtor and I didn't notice these windows at first because the only way to access them from the outside was a very narrow almost hidden side alley. On the inside, the windows were a bit higher up than normal. I'm short and I couldn't see out the windows easily. My home inspector was taller and noticed the windows right away. I was a bit worried about these windows when I found out about them as I didn't consider them in my budget. After talking to my contractor, I ended up getting an estimate for far less than what I imagined it would have been.

Renovation

I got three estimates for all the work I wanted to get done. I ended up using a carpenter for the deck/balcony. He was able to reinforce everything and replace the railings for far less than what I thought it was going to cost. It ended up being 2K.

I used a contractor that's a family member of one of my coworkers for the rest of the work. I had him write out the scope of work and separate out all the tasks and price out the labor and materials separately for each task so I could easily add or remove things if I needed to adjust the SOW to better fit my budget. The main things he did was replace the tile in the bathroom with LVT, replace the bathroom vanity, replace both bathroom's toilets, replace all the closet doors, repaint the entire interior, power wash and stain the deck and balcony, replaced the three rear windows and frames and repointed the brick, added a handrail for the basement stairs, fixed any chipped paint on the exterior, replaced three front window frames, and some other things but those are the main items.

I used a roofing company to put another coating on the flat roof for 1.5k. There weren't any leaks, but the seller didn't have any information about the roof and when it was last done. I didn't want to have to deal with any leaks when I got tenants in so I had another coating put on. I had a plumber replace the hot water heater for 1.4K. It was still working but it was over 15 years old and was starting to rust in some spots. 

Baltimore city rental inspection

I passed the rental inspection on the first visit. I passed the visual inspection for lead as well, so he proceeded to do the dust samples. The basement was unfinished and the concrete still had a lot of dust on it despite my efforts to clean it up. The basement failed the dust sample, all other rooms passed. The inspector said that usually these unfinished basements fail unless you power wash and paint them with a garage type epoxy paint. I already had tenants lined up to move in at this point, so instead of trying to clean it better and try again I just went with the power wash and painting option. My contractor did it for $1.5k. The basement passed the lead inspection on the second dust sampling. After that, I submitted all my information to the city website and got my rental permit. 

Listing the house/tenant placement

I listed the house at the high end of the rental comps at $1700. I was able to secure a tenant in the first 3 days of listing it. The first people I showed it to applied within an hour of leaving and they met my tenant screening criteria. I learned from this that tenant screening takes longer than I thought. I went through and called their previous landlords, called their employers to verify their income and employment, etc. I imagine this will be a lengthy process if there are multiple applicants.

Lessons learned

On my second deal, I asked for 3% closing assist from the seller instead of negotiating the purchase price. I like this approach better than what I did here on my first deal. Closing costs in Baltimore city are incredibly expensive, so getting a few thousand from the seller for that is better than saving a few thousand on the purchase price. That's a couple thousand dollars less I have to bring to closing for a negligible different in the mortgage payment.

My timeline here for completing the rehab and getting it inspected and my permit approved with the city was really tight because I had committed to allowing the tenants to move in on a specific date. I should have built in a little more room for delays. Thankfully, my contractor was able to squeeze in the additional work on the basement I needed to pass the lead inspection, but this could have ended up not working. 

Overall, I'm happy with this deal. I went a little over budget and it's not necessarily a "home run" but I'm happy with the cash flow and I learned a lot during the whole process. 

I'm currently in the middle of my second deal, which I think may end up having a better Coc ROI, but we'll see. Thanks for reading about my deal! I hope it was helpful to anyone that is just starting out.

10Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 16 votes
5y
Originally posted by @Gayle Melnick:

@Amanda Mark

Yes, I have found that the farther away from Greenmount and the closer you are to Guilford, the better. I'm extremely close to Guilford. 

I received a decent amount of interest when I listed it at $1700. So far I'm happy with my tenants, they've paid their rent so far and I haven't had any issues. You might be able to try for more rent at your next tenant turnover. What do you think?

 I haven't had the property turnover yet when I do, which looks like next year, I may go for $1,700. The issue with the neighborhood is that although you may be able to rent at the top the tenants that want to live there are willing to struggle and pay it.. their income will pass the test.. However, I know another landlord in that area and when COVID-19 hit they had issues along with me. Thats just the ups and downs with these kinds of neighborhoods.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thank you for the detailed description of your deal!

    Where did you list your property? I just got my first property, I too am on the higher end of comps and I'm getting all sort of characters that look great and end up failing my screening. So far, we've screened about 5 that have concerning things on their court records. 

  • Insurance Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    I have a 3br/2ba in Harwood I bought in 2015. It is an in-between neighborhood that has more positive changes every year and an involved neighborhood association. You will have to screen tenants thoroughly here. I charge $1,525 for rent each month.

  • Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Eduardo Conde

    I listed it on everything. Zillow, trulia, hotpads, apartments.com. I use avail to manage the property myself and you can have them post automatically to a bunch of different sites.

    I will ask, what is the class of the neighborhood? If they have a minor criminal record but you’re in a c/d neighborhood, shouldn’t that be less concerning? Not sure what you’re seeing or where your property is, but it’s my understanding that it’s normal practice to adjust tenant criteria based on the class of the property. 

  • Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Amanda Mark

    Yes, I have found that the farther away from Greenmount and the closer you are to Guilford, the better. I'm extremely close to Guilford. 

    I received a decent amount of interest when I listed it at $1700. So far I'm happy with my tenants, they've paid their rent so far and I haven't had any issues. You might be able to try for more rent at your next tenant turnover. What do you think?

  • Insurance Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 16 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gayle Melnick:

    @Amanda Mark

    Yes, I have found that the farther away from Greenmount and the closer you are to Guilford, the better. I'm extremely close to Guilford. 

    I received a decent amount of interest when I listed it at $1700. So far I'm happy with my tenants, they've paid their rent so far and I haven't had any issues. You might be able to try for more rent at your next tenant turnover. What do you think?

     I haven't had the property turnover yet when I do, which looks like next year, I may go for $1,700. The issue with the neighborhood is that although you may be able to rent at the top the tenants that want to live there are willing to struggle and pay it.. their income will pass the test.. However, I know another landlord in that area and when COVID-19 hit they had issues along with me. Thats just the ups and downs with these kinds of neighborhoods.

  • Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Amanda Mark I hear you. I bought this property a little over a month ago and got the tenants in there during pandemic. Luckily they both have jobs working from home already. I'm hoping there won't be any issues!

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing. Do you have a breakdown of the $11,000 closing costs on a $136,000 property. That seems awful high and I wonder what is driving the closing costs so high? Thanks again.

  • Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Jim R. Yes. I also thought it was high but the transfer taxes in the city are pretty high. Here's the breakdown. If you see something there that looks like I paid too much, please let me know so I can keep an eye out for that next time!

    1.125% origination charge $1,148

    underwriting fee $995

    Appraisal, credit report fee, flood vert fee, tax service fee $826

    Title insurance $559

    Taxes and government fees $4,255

    Prepaids  $1,084

    Initial escrow payment $1,040

    Lender and settlement fees (closing protection letter, e-docs, lender's title insurance, settlement fee, etc) $1,180

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 89 votes
    5y

    @Gayle Melnick awesome! Any pictures you can share?

  • Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Tyrone Marson yes I do! These photos are from the move in inspection, not the listing, so not the best quality and obviously a different style than listing photos. The photos I had for the listing were actually pre rehab. The house was in good enough shape that I could take enough photos for a listing before I even started the rehab. I actually ended up securing a tenant before the rehab was even complete so didn’t need to take listing photos after it was all done. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Nice project Gayle. Your confidence in managing the renovation yourself is commendable. I have a rental in nearby Charles Village but do not know the nearby neighborhoods well and your story would bring me to consider Harwood in the future. Just wondering out loud, but the mortgage payment on this property is around $800/month ( if it is a 30 year loan. ) Who are these tenants are willing to pay $1,700 in rent??? If they chose to, they can probably get away with a few percent down payment on an FHA and then can easily afford to purchase something similar on their own? I cannot argue with your success but I have had trouble overcoming this mental block while considering properties which have rents so much higher than mortgage. Don't get me wrong, it is a landlord's blessing these people exist.

  • Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Baron

    There’s tons of reasons why people rent instead of buy. A young unmarried couple just moving in together is less likely to buy a house right off the bat than to try to rent for a bit. Especially if they need both of their incomes to qualify for the mortgage. It’s a much bigger commitment to buy a house together than it is to sign a year lease together. That’s just one of a multitude of reasons people rent instead of buy, even though rent is more than a mortgage payment. 

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2009 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Looks good! You are ready to start cash flowing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Gayle Melnick thanks for the update. Very helpful. Great job on your first deal. Keep up the good work.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · MD · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Congrats on the purchase @Gayle Melnick, keep going! I am in Baltimore too, and also looking to purchase soon. Baltimore is also a very transient town, with the hospitals and colleges in proximity. People rent for a few years until they decide to stay or move on @Jonathan Baron.

  • Professional · Washington, DC (washington dc) · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Gayle Melnick this is amazing work you did. I’m very impressed.

  • New to Real Estate · Alexandria VA · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Nice property!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.