How to value note?

3 Replies

I write lots of paper via self-directed IRA, typically for flips, but I also hold a $50k 2nd on a small commercial property. I am 12 months into 60 month balloon, interest only at 9.6%, $400 per month. 1st position lender is same terms as me and has asked me if I am interested in taking him out. Obviously would like to buy it discounted if I can, but have never bought a note before, no idea if this warrants a discount? Both loans are current, all direct deposit from borrower, property value around $200k.

There is no hard and fast rule on this.  Seasoned note buyers will generally have established criteria and are looking for a particular minimum yield, so the offer would discount enough to achieve the target yield, assuming there are no other issues present that would warrant a deeper discount.

The first position note is more valuable than your 2nd with the same terms, so one could make the argument that since you were OK loaning on a second position at those terms, a 1st at the same terms would be a better deal.  On the other hand, the seller clearly wants to sell, so you might pick a yield like 12% and discount to that for your initial offer. 

@Tom Burns

Form an IRA perspective, it must benefit the IRA not dilute its interest.

With a seasoned 1st lien note that is 200k, you are looking to pay 70-90%of BPO value on that note. The value will depend on the term of the note and payment history. Typically, you will have a bigger discount on a note that has longer term and it is earlier in its payment history. So lets say a 30 year performing note that originated 5 years ago will have i deeper discount than a 1 year old note with a 5 year balloon.

EDIT: collateral value, note performance, borrowers credit history, location, interest, down payment, and quality of origination paperwork will drive the price of a note.

Higher value collateral, good credit, bigger down payment, up and coming location, and simpler paperwork will raise note value, 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here