tax liens

4 Replies

i am interested in the tax liens properties.. I'm from Baltimore and I am new to all of this and wanted to know how would I go about getting my Tax lien certificate....??? Where can they be purchased and how can I find out which houses have liens on them??

@Romell Haley Baltimore city has a tax auction once a year in May. Most Maryland counties have sales between march and the end of June. 

You can go to the Municipal building and buy a list of leftover liens from last May's sale. Most of it will be junk but you may find a diamond in the rough. the advantage of buying the leftover liens is you pay face value and you don't have to bid it up at the auction.

There are some very detailed threads here on buying Baltimore City tax liens and buying from the leftover list. A search should find them.

Originally posted by @Romell Haley:
Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

@Romell Haley Baltimore city has a tax auction once a year in May. Most Maryland counties have sales between march and the end of June. 

You can go to the Municipal building and buy a list of leftover liens from last May's sale. Most of it will be junk but you may find a diamond in the rough. the advantage of buying the leftover liens is you pay face value and you don't have to bid it up at the auction.

There are some very detailed threads here on buying Baltimore City tax liens and buying from the leftover list. A search should find them.

Thank you so much man....and I have another question about tax liens.

. so if I buy a lien that was put on the house.. How could I possibly eventually obtain that property? And if I look into buying liens from the leftover list... You said I could buy them at face valuE... Are they typically more expensive ?? That's why they are on the left over list?

@Romell Haley In order to take title you have to file a foreclosure. You get an attorney to do that for you. If the owner redeems (pays off the taxes) then they have to reimburse you for your legal fees. 

Once the foreclosure is complete, in order to record your deed, you have to catch up any taxes, water bills and fines that have accumulated  since the tax lien was issued. You need to keep in mind the cost of both the legal fees and catching up the taxes and bills when you evaluate a lien.

By now most of the really inexpensive leftover liens have probably been bought already. But I am sure there are some for a few thousand. However there are  some that are vacnat lots assessed at $1,000  with liens of tens of thousands of dollars.

Owners in tax sale situations are the perfect prospect to meet and talk about their tax issue.  They may be able to refer you to someone who wants or sell their property.........it's a great way to farm and meet nice people.......many of them you'll be able to help.

Charles