• Trenton, NJ
Votes |
Not quite a new investor but a "rookie"

Demetrios Kontoyannis
  • Investor
  • Trenton, NJ
Posted Feb 11 2016, 07:16

Hello,

Let me give a little backing as to my personal situation to hopefully assist others in their goals as well as establish a base for anyone interested in sharing or providing some leadership or mentoring. I met my wife through my father's business parter. My wife was born in Greece. In 2007 after we married we bought our first house of which we overpaid back when the market was at its peak! The market exploded and we moved to Greece in 2008 then we renting our house out in 2009. But we came back in 2012 where we lived at my mother's for a couple years. In September 2014 we bought a condo to be in a better public school district for our two kids. But because it was a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath we never moved into the condo because a single family house that was a foreclosure became available and after several price reductions it fell into our price range and we jumped on it. 

After overpaying for our first house, we bought the condo at market value, and got a house that we love in our price range did I feel we did ok in our real estate purchases because the house is actually a two family with three beds 2 baths on one side and two beds 1 bath on the other with separate driveways, entrances, heat, electric and water heaters. It needed a ton of work time and money but for the property I felt it was still a bargain. I would estimate we made 100k instant equity after the renovations were complete.

The reason I started in real estate  was because of a horrific car accident in 2004 that has left me disabled where I am unable to hold a full time job. It was in 2012 that I determined real estate investing was right for me and our situation and it was something I was interested in because I wanted the control and independence after I was unable to handle full time work. In 2014, after 2 years of research and learning beyond the experience of having our first house rented out to the same people since 2009 that I managed, did I begin to search for more. As a result I wanted to buy a condo for the additional investment and to get my knees wet after having my feet wet from our first house. It was in the middle of buying the condo that we decided to pursue the single family "duplex" that we ended up closing on in Dec. 2014. 

I basically can't pursue rental properties anymore because I am leveraged to the max, well, at least until the duplex gets rented will I have income to pursue another property but the market is pretty much depleted of "bargain purchases" anymore. And I feel that with the house, condo rented out and soon the duplex rented I am ok with three properties at the present time. 

Now that you have a basis for our situation... I still love the idea of real estate and through my research and reading I came across the idea of Bank Notes or underperforming bank notes. I would like to learn more about them and while at the same time as I do me own reading and learning I am reaching out to Bigger Pockets for anyone who could provide me with any information on them?

Gratefully your,

Demetrios

Loading replies...