• Wholesaler
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
I'm relatively new to the note business & proud to say that

Garrison Gilbert
  • Wholesaler
  • Baltimore, MD
Posted Jun 26 2016, 09:00

I've been rehabbing houses for 15 years... and have been a landlord more times than I wish to acknowledge.... I'm just finishing up my 1st few days of studying notes... and am attending #NoteSchool by Scott Carson --

I love the concepts, makes way more sense being the bank and the loan holder vs babysitting contractors, GC's, Handymen, and tenants....

My question is -- how big is the seller financed niche of note investing ?
compared to non performing or performing notes ?

Thanks in advance
Garrison
#NoteCamp

User Stats

Votes
Tom Cooper
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 26 2016, 10:58

Garrison,  

There are two separate questions here.

1) Creator - Seller originated notes vs.  bank/mortgage company originated notes

2) Performing versus non-performing, which could be in either of the above categories.

I have no idea on what percentage of total loans are seller financed.

User Stats

Votes
Darren Eady
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lindon, UT
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lindon, UT
Replied Jun 26 2016, 16:14

If you are looking for non-performing notes, Scott Carson is great.  I've spoken to him and I think he knows what he is doing.  Realize that NPNs do NOT get you out of "babysitting", performing notes do.  With NPNs you end up babysitting the tenant, the attorney, and the county to get your deal to work out and you may also have to babysit contractors, GC's and handymen if you get a property with issues that need correction.

Performing notes are the complete opposite, and where I've invested for the past seven years.  Few moving parts, very passive income.  No huge returns, but a solid 12% interest per year.  

The real question is how active or passive you would like to be with your investing because NPN and Performing notes are on the opposite side of the spectrum!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Jun 27 2016, 09:11

@Garrison Gilbert it is my opinion that NPN are over priced.

There is a a healthy market for performing notes but you need to do your homework to make sure the loan was properly originated and the collateral vale supports the note in the event of default, etc..