Votes
Jennifer McDuffie
  • Wilmer, AL
Votes |
Preservation or Permanent improvements?

Jennifer McDuffie
  • Wilmer, AL
Posted Jul 17 2017, 15:51

First of all let me say thanks in advance for any feedback.  To get strait to the point, I purchased property from the state of Alabama for back taxes.  This land contained a dilapidated home.  The county's revenue commission placed a $2,900 value on the structure, so I don't believe it was officially condemned.   The house is uninhabitable, and was completely overgrown and 90% hidden with small trees and brush.  This overgrowth would need to be removed in order to reach the house to begin repairs.   Myself and other family and friends worked hard at removing this overgrowth to begin preserving this house.  Unfortunately, before we could begin the repairs to the roof or any part of the actual structure, the previous owners contacted me wanting to redeem.  I estimated the cost that it would have cost me to remove the overgrowth, and bush hog 2 acres. I presented the statement to their attorney.  They have disputed the work as not being "preservation improvement".  So my question is, would this work be considered permanent improvements since the Code of Alabama states,

As used herein, "permanent improvements" shall include, but not be limited to, all repairs, improvements, and equipment attached to the property as fixtures. (code of Alabama 1975).

Should I be compensated for this work?

Thank you again,

Jennifer McDuffie

Loading replies...