Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
it was about 90k not 900.... and they are likely going to get outspent in court.
I'm not sure if you could, but they should of NNN leased it back to the HOA... instead they are trying to tell super wealthy and elite families they are going to have to pay for parking haha.
it was about 90k not 900.... and they are likely going to get outspent in court.
I'm not sure if you could, but they should of NNN leased it back to the HOA... instead they are trying to tell super wealthy and elite families they are going to have to pay for parking haha.
thanks for the correction. I love that they kinda sticking it to the wealthy a little.
it was about 90k not 900.... and they are likely going to get outspent in court.
thanks for the correction. I love that they kinda sticking it to the wealthy a little.
You are right though the past due taxes were only about $900... it just got bid up to over $90,000 at the tax foreclosure sale. Apparently 30 years of backed taxes at $14 a pop, plus interest! The devil is in the details...
I mean, its not like the 'road owner' now owns the homes or anything.. (seriously, they just bought a bill bill, didn't they??) what are they going to do, make it a toll road??!! lol
Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
9y
The HOA committee is made up of those elite, wealthy family members, right? Turns out, it's not the county/cities job to make sure they're actually paying the taxes, it's theirs.
Right of redemption window has more than lapsed. The homeowners better get ready to shift some of the 500/mo to the new road owners.
High property taxes keeping the peons out is fine and dandy until the poor buy your road at auction lmao.
I mean, its not like the 'road owner' now owns the homes or anything.. (seriously, they just bought a bill bill, didn't they??) what are they going to do, make it a toll road??!! lol
Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
Since this is a private road... does the owner of the road: Assume the landscaping contracts (I highly doubt a place like this is doing their own landscaping)
Maintenance for the road itself? Is it on some kind of schedule set forth by the HOA?
What about the utilities like the sewer/water lines... since it's a private road wonder who has ownership in the road itself.
Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
I'm talking who is responsible for replacement/repair not access. Around here a lot of homes the responsibility ends at the street or the curb. I'd be curious if the HOA (who previously owned the street) was responsible for all the repairs and upkeep of the "common" areas that would include the road. But since the HOA no longer owns the road would that responsibility be passed on to the new owner?
I guess basically is this new owner responsible for upkeep of this road until it reaches the public street.
I'm talking who is responsible for replacement/repair not access. Around here a lot of homes the responsibility ends at the street or the curb. I'd be curious if the HOA (who previously owned the street) was responsible for all the repairs and upkeep of the "common" areas that would include the road. But since the HOA no longer owns the road would that responsibility be passed on to the new owner?
I guess basically is this new owner responsible for upkeep of this road until it reaches the public street.
Not sure what the laws was 30 years ago when they first develop the area
Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
Saw this recently in Texas two where a commercial building had several parcels of land around it. One was the entrance to the parking lot and a small sliver of the parking lot. It was near Austin if I remember right. In the end I decided it was probably not worth the fight I would create. At least the tax authority seems to be on the buyer's side. I'm sure there will be some fun legal battles at some point. Hope someone can keep us in the loop as to what happens.
Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
I think there's a guard shack at the entrance or at least a guard to keep people out. I think his smartest play would of been to offer to lease it back to the HOA....
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
9y
Maybe they should try being nice to the new owner and offer to work something out. They purchased it legally due to an HOA mistake.
My favorite quote:
And, the spokeswoman told the paper, "Ninety-nine percent of property owners in San Francisco know what they need to do, and they pay their taxes on time — and they keep their mailing address up to date."
Real Estate Investor · Amherst, VA · Member since 2015 · 386 posts · 400 votes
9y
Not sure why people here are siding with the buyer. Sure, they did nothing wrong, but trying to invest in a neighborhood private road is pretty lame, akin to patent trolls. Nothing to be proud of!
Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
I saw this story earlier and had a chuckle as well ... I agree with some other posters, this strategy won't likely work out for the buyers for the exact same reason that governments don't typically succeed in using eminent domain to build freeways through the middle of really nice neighborhoods ...
Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 110 votes
9y
I am with Patrick on this one. They are not bringing any value to the situation, they are only trying to exploit a situation for their own gain. I am all for people making a buck, just not at the expense of others.
Surveyor · Dothan, AL · Member since 2014 · 425 posts · 391 votes
9y
This is a classic hold your deed hostage play. This will settle where the owners will probably buy the title back. If not the new owner who thought he bought a deal will be liable for all of this maintenance which will be thousands. The homeowners could sue for an ingress-egress-utility easement claiming continuous uninterrupted use. This would be called a prescriptive easement. Usually the new owner figures out what the other side will spend in attorneys fees and sell for a few dollars less. It's a legal circus🤑
Real Estate Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 316 posts · 165 votes
9y
@Clint Shelley an easement is more likely the case. I think the investor lost his money. Also, after his motives are known, like maybe that he only purchased this property to extort money from the home owners, his legal problems become worse. No win here.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y
@Clint Shelley big part of any type of perspcriptive easement is paying the tax's.
this would be an easement by necessity... and I don't think the utls company would put utls in without an easement.
also on the plat since its a private road there could very well be an easement for ingress and egress.. the city would want that for this very reason..
ONe needs to pull the plat map and read it LOL.. the rest is conjecture.