Passive lending funds for NON-accredited investors that pay ~12%?

27 Replies

I'm looking for a way to passively lend into a note fund, or crowdfunding fund, or real estate developer/company.

But every one I've seen so far has been offered to accredited investors only.

One example is PPR's Note Fund, but there are a bunch of other ones I've looked at too. All accredited investors only.

Are there any funds that you know of that are available to non-accredited investors, that pay 10+%?

---

Note that it doesn't have to be a note fund. It could be a hard money lender fund, or anything related to real estate, etc.

If you are investing passively into a fund, they must comply with SEC rules and most cap the number of non-accredited investors.  Depending on how the legal work is done, I believe the limit is something like 34 non-accredited investors.   But under some SEC rules, you absolutely must be accredited, which is why you are having trouble finding any.  (I find it crazy that under the guise of protecting you the government prevents you from investing in a way that might allow you to become wealthy!)

If you do private lending yourself, you can probably accomplish 10%+.

While not exactly passive lending, you might want to look into Lifestyles Unlimited.  I have been a member since 2011.   Lifestyles Unlimited is a real estate education and mentoring program that focuses on buy & hold single and multi family investing.   What is important for you to know is that the members engaged in multi family investing will put together syndications to buy apartments.  So, many of the people that invest, do so passively.   

My first passive apartment investment was made December 2014.  Since then, I have had 121% of my initial investment returned and the property keeps cranking out returns.

AHP Fund (American Homeowner Preservation Fund), but they just sent out an email that they're temporarily suspending new investments due to overwhelming demand.

@Jeff L. I assume that the PPR fund is a 506(c) offering, since they are conducting general solicitation. The drawback as you've mentioned, is that they're only allowed to accept accredited investors.

A fund that is offered via 506(b) however, is allowed up to 35 non-accredited, "sophisticated" investors and 65 accredited investors with a maximum 100 investors combined. "Sophisticated investors” have sufficient knowledge and experience in financial matters, are capable of evaluating the merits and risks of the particular investment, and can bear the economic risk of the substantial or total loss of the investment.

The drawback of a 506(b) offering is that the offerors cannot conduct general solicitation of their fund. It's limited to investors that the offerors have pre-existing relationships with. Offerors have to be careful to make sure that they know someone first before introducing their private offering to avoid violating SEC regulations. I've heard that registered broker dealers can be used to make introductions but I'm unsure how that all works for unaccredited investors and 506(b) offerings. You might try to contact a registered broker dealer to see what they might say.

Another option besides investing in a "fund" is to invest directly with note investors as a "joint-venture" -- where you provide the funding and they source and manage purchased note assets, which passively pays you a split (typically 50/50, but some investors like myself go 60/40 favoring the "lender") on net profits resulting from interest received or sale of the note or property (after DIL or foreclosure). If the investor knows what they are doing, achieving 12% ROI (and often higher) is very doable with your investment secured by the property tied to the note.

I am not an accredited investor yet and private money lending at 12-14% is the standard. First position.

@Drew McLaren I participate on both sides -- I give money to investors I trust from my retirement account and also have my own business where I receive money in the same manner.  1st liens are relatively low risk as long as your partner is selecting assets where the investment purchase is less than the value of the property that secures it.

Updated over 3 years ago

*to answer your question directly I'm the manager in the above situation I noted

@Jeff L. You might check out GROUNDFLOOR. They are open to non-accredited investors, but only in a few states. California is one of them though, so you would be able to do it. I haven't invested with them, but they were mentioned in podcast 219.

Hi @Jeff L. I have both JV partners on individual notes and run a 506(b) private equity fund with multiple investor/members. You will get more experience in a joint venture, but less exposure as a fund investor since your investment is spread across multiple assets. Typically a JV will produce a higher yield than a PE fund. The classic higher risk/higher return scenario.

Just had to say HI to someone from Pope Valley CA... not many probably know where that is..   I used to drive through there weekly going the back way up to Lake county.. I can give you referrals to those that sell whole PERFORMING only notes.. although like others states demand outstrips supply.. but you can get a  feel get in the Q and end up with some notes without taking on the risk of a fund or multi beneficiary notes.. both those can be a bear to unwind .

Heres to Lido's hub cap ranch !!!!

We provide HML to investors who buy houses from us. The way we structure the deals and solicit (no general soliciting) for lenders allows us to work with non-accredited folks like @Jeff L.  We've yet to lose $1 of principal or interest due.

Originally posted by @Wesley Wells :

Jay Hinrichs I would be interested in connecting with the sellers of the performing notes and also buying partials as Steve Hodgdon mentioned.

send me a PM will put you in touch with those that sell performing notes.  don't do partials.

@Steve Powers , after May 24th, fund is closing and I've heard new AHP Fund will be capped at 10% preferred return (versus the current 12%).