Tax Certificate Mobile, AL

14 Replies

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has had success reaching out to occupants of a home that you have the tax lien certificate tittle? I'm wondering the best approach to take possession of the property.  If you can share any letters or correspondence you use to notify the occupants would be greatly appreciated.  This is all new to me and I'm not sure where to go from here.  

Thanks in advance for your assistance.


@Syrica Brown Yes I have. I have had a house given to me because they couldn't pay the back taxes and they were literally leaving never to return in a few days.

I have also had people sign over houses. I paid them $200 for their time to sign over a property to me or release any claim to a property that I had already received a tax deed on.

@John Underwood Thanks for responding.  I'm not sure how to introduce myself to the occupants.  My first thought was to send a certificate letter notifying them but I wasn't sure to include in the letter.  I'm at lost now.  I received the tittle over 2.5 weeks ago.  

Knock on the door.  Say hello.  Smiles often work best.

@Joe Mclain Thanks for responding.  The whole process seems a little intimidating to me.  I'm at a lost to what should be included in the letter.  I was told to include rental amount along with a time frame to move out if they decided not to rent.  Also, I was told to just evict the folks.  

I'm a newbie and I want to make sure I include all the  necessary information in the letter.


@Syrica Brown - I would follow @Denise Evans advice from the previous post.  I would think that you want the rental income at least until the point where you have the tax deed.  So I would make the rent below market and try to make this property income producing in the short run.   The purpose of the letter is to establish you as the new owner and not to evict.   That is why it is important to make it certified, so you will have a copy for your records that you took possession on X date.  I would also put in a rental agreement that you can find on one of the legal web sites that has legal docs.   That way if they stay and agree to the rent, you have a record of that as well.   If they decide to move out then change the locks and secure the property.  

So lets try this.."My name is Syrica Brown and as of this date, I am the new owner of this property.   I would like to notify you that the new rental agreement is enclosed.  Please fill this out and return to me at the following address>>Insert your business address here>>>  If you choose not to continue living at this address, then you have until X date to vacate the property.   If you have any questions then please contact me at this telephone #. "

I am not an attorney but that's my advice.  Keep it simple. 

@Joe Mclain Here's the scenario:

I purchase the property for $202 and it will deed out in 5/19.  The current owner residue in the property.   My initial thought is to rent the home out to the owner and request they allow me to upgrade the property.  

My dilemma:

1. I'm not sure what to charge for rent.  I'm thinking anything over $202, then they can just redeem the property.  I would love to eventually move into the property.

2. The improvements that need to be made:  replace the windows (energy efficient), install central heating & air, replace the porch and landscape.

I'm probably making this more difficult then it is.  Now that you have the full picture what do you think would be a fair amount for rent?   How should I include this in my letter?

It sounds like you can a deed in may, I would wait until you get a deed and find an attorney for your ejectment. 

@David Tubesing I thought I couldn't deed until May 2019.  The property sold to the state in 5/16.  Please advise.

Originally posted by @Syrica Brown :

@David Tubesing I thought I couldn't deed until May 2019.  The property sold to the state in 5/16.  Please advise.

 My bad, I misread the post. 

As well, I would not ask a tenant in a house to sign a lease with you. This can be an ugly mess.

Not to mention I wonder if that ever actually puts you in processions and helps burn off those rights.

You need procession. If it’s the owner I’d just have them sign a lease.

No procession = no rights to rent, use, etc. As well redemption rights don’t start to tick down. 

If it’s a tenant of the owner you want he owner to sign a lease and let him sublet.

@Syrica Brown - I would goto one of the popular real estate web sites. Like real tor com.  (You can't put sites on here but you can figure it out) and look at what rent is running in the area.   Lets say its 700 /month for a house in similar condition to yours.  Then discount to 500/month.  Remember, you want to keep the renter there in your house.   So show them the savings.   Make it harder to move out than to stay.   Remember the renter probably wasn't the owner of the previous house.   So they don't know they sold that to you for 200.  Best of luck

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here