FCI Requires You to Use Their Foreclosure Lawyers?

7 Replies

Why does FCI servicing require that you foreclose with only their appointed foreclosure lawyers?

It's just their rule. Franco was my lawyer in OH. I wanted to use him and they simply had him fill out a form. Then he was one of their attorneys and I got to use Franco. It wasn't a big deal.

@Scott Taylor - This is self-serving, but you should be comfortable with your lawyer.  Find one you like and stick with them.  A foreclosure can take a while if there’s an estute defendant.  

I've also been using Daniel Singer for loss mit supervision and his office will work directly with the FCI-provisioned attorney to advise us and followup with the local counsel. It's a bit more money but Singer handles the minutia and advises us on tactitical items. 

How does FCI handle defaulted land contact deals when a full foreclosure is not required ? I would assume some sort of legal process is also required to gain possession back on the property ?

We have several land contract notes in our portfolio and just wanted to gain the knowledge in the event of default in the future.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Best regards,

@Scott Taylor We just transferred some of our loans to FCI for the first time and we haven't had any issues with using our trustees or attorneys. I recall their paperwork saying something about them initiating foreclosure but the explanation I received was that FCI didn't want the investor/lender initiating FC without letting FCI know beforehand so that they could verify that the FC was in compliance. I think FCI is limiting its liability by preventing lenders from initiating illegal FCs. Just my opinion....

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.